A&H

Paul Tierney

The Referee Store
Quite interesting, wonder if he no longer feels he can do a good enough job at the top?

Also questioning Rob Jones being nominated. Still a fairly inexperienced PL Ref and isn't getting the games with the big teams often.

Quite interesting, wonder if he no longer feels he can do a good enough job at the top?

Also questioning Rob Jones being nominated. Still a fairly inexperienced PL Ref and isn't getting the games with the big teams often.

I guess they have to fill the position with someone seeing as 3 referees have dropped out. Interesting that Bankes and Coote removed themselves from being an onfield FIFA referee but staying on as VARs.

I suspect Rob Jones will get the bigger games soon though, he seems more than capable top flight official from what I have seen of him.i just hope he does not go the way of Chris Kavanagh.

I guess they have to fill the position with someone seeing as 3 referees have dropped out. Interesting that Bankes and Coote removed themselves from being an onfield FIFA referee but staying on as VARs.

I suspect Rob Jones will get the bigger games soon though, he seems more than capable top flight official from what I have seen of him.i just hope he does not go the way of Chris Kavanagh.
I watched Southampton Vs Brighton earlier (Brighton fan) and he was in the middle. To be honest, I thought he looked slightly slow and had an odd running technique. Although I feel he had good control over players. There was a few times that he had 4,5,6 etc players round him and he mouthed ‘go away. Away’ a few times to them and it worked. I thought he had good control and communicated well with them. Just my opinions, I know obviously I am no where near the level he is at but just my thoughts from the game.

I watched Southampton Vs Brighton earlier (Brighton fan) and he was in the middle. To be honest, I thought he looked slightly slow and had an odd running technique. Although I feel he had good control over players. There was a few times that he had 4,5,6 etc players round him and he mouthed ‘go away. Away’ a few times to them and it worked. I thought he had good control and communicated well with them. Just my opinions, I know obviously I am no where near the level he is at but just my thoughts from the game.
He's 6'4" and built like a tank, think anyone would have a slightly strange running technique at that size.

Another possible reason is that he's (I believe) as old or older than Oliver, Pawson, and Taylor and has been a FIFA for a shorter period of time. It's very likely he saw that he was not going to be one of the elite guys and would be doing bottom-rung international matches, and just decided "not for me - I'll just focus on being a good domestic referee."

In his shoes, I could see why doing all of the extra work, attending the additional UEFA/FIFA seminars, etc. knowing you'll likely never break the top 3 of English UEFA referees, to say nothing about surpassing Taylor and Oliver, may cause one to rethink that idea.

Another possible reason is that he's (I believe) as old or older than Oliver, Pawson, and Taylor and has been a FIFA for a shorter period of time. It's very likely he saw that he was not going to be one of the elite guys and would be doing bottom-rung international matches, and just decided "not for me - I'll just focus on being a good domestic referee."

In his shoes, I could see why doing all of the extra work, attending the additional UEFA/FIFA seminars, etc. knowing you'll likely never break the top 3 of English UEFA referees, to say nothing about surpassing Taylor and Oliver, may cause one to rethink that idea.
Exactly that. In all walks of life, not just refereeing, there can come a point when you realise that, no matter how hard you work and try, you just aren't going to progress any further.

Tierney would have known that the best he would be getting would be preliminary Europa League games, 4th official appointments, etc, and would have zero chance of getting anywhere near the elite group. Is it then worth sacrificing all the time away from home and the family for such (perceived) little reward.

He's 6'4" and built like a tank, think anyone would have a slightly strange running technique at that size.
Are you sure he's 6'4"? I can't find anything that specifically states his height but Jürgen Klopp is 6'3” according to his playing statistics and they're both standing on level ground in the photo below.

Screenshot_2022_1231_124536.png

Edit: Reading the thread again, I realise you were probably referring to Rob Jones there. My mistake.

Last edited:
Are you sure he's 6'4"? I can't find anything that specifically states his height but Jürgen Klopp is 6'3” according to his playing statistics and they're both standing on level ground in the photo below.

View attachment 6263

Edit: Reading the thread again, I realise you were probably referring to Rob Jones there. My mistake.
Yes, was referring to Rob Jones. This is him next to Andy Carroll who is 6'4" ...

1672487190855.png

Back