A&H

Passing across box

StuArt reed

Level 6 Referee
guys

One situation I was in weekend , blue striker goes through on goal 1 on 1 with yellows keeper ....the blues striker then squares it across box to his team mate who slots home ...... Yellows were screaming at me for offside I gave the goal, was I correct.? I've been looking online trying to find the offside rule for that similar situation, I'm certain ive seen it before but can't find it . I can't seem to get my head around it

The Referee Store
If the player who played the ball across the box played it exactly side wards or backwards then he was onside.

If the ball was played forwards, but the player who slotted was behind the ball at the moment it was played then again he was onside.

Was the player accused of being offside nearer to the opponents goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent?

Keep it simple. Yes - offside. No - play on.

Funnily enough I had exactly this on Saturday. The attacker ran through the defence and knocked the ball across the 6 yard area. A team mate, who was behind the ball at the time of the pass ran onto it and kicked it home. Apparently he was offside because he was nearer the goal line than the second last defender.

Him being behind the ball apparently doesn't matter. :)

Gotta love footballers and their dodgy grasp of the laws of the game.

Then again, I had a player kick the ball through the defence, run into it himself and apparently he was offside because he "passed to himself!" :rolleyes: I did enjoy that one.

Hullref kind of just got in front of me before I posted this.

If the player who played the ball across the box played it exactly side wards or backwards then he was onside.
Pardon me?
If the receiving player is ahead of the ball (and beyond the second rear-most defender), it is irrelevant whether the ball is played forwards, backwards, sideways or completely vertically.

If the player who received the ball was behind the ball when it was passed to him then he is onside, regardless of whether the ball went forwards, backwards or sideways

Pardon me?
If the receiving player is ahead of the ball (and beyond the second rear-most defender), it is irrelevant whether the ball is played forwards, backwards, sideways or completely vertically.
?????

Pardon me?

You know what I meant!

Although if they could play a ball backwards to a player ahead of the ball I would probably be too lost for words to give it!

Yes, Hull?

If the receiving player is ahead of the ball, it is irrelevant whether the ball is physically passed backwards or sideways.
As Regal hints at, it's unlikely and altogether pretty impressive, but it's still, in law, offside!

Back