A&H

Passback restart

The Referee Store
Long-time stalker; first-time poster. Thanks for all the advice in the past guys - much appreciated.

Given the potential for angst and loss of match control if things go wrong, my inclination would be to step in. However - and I don't think that anyone has mentioned this yet - remember this is an indirect free kick. Keep your arm down as an insurance policy. If the attacking team go quickly and the GK and his defenders are clearly not ready, quick blips on the whistle and apologies all round, "Sorry guys, I wasn't ready and didn't have my arm up to show it was indirect. Let's go again, and it's on the whistle this time"

I'm sorry, I think this is terrible advice. I don't think referees should play games by deliberately doing things incorrectly--either let it go (if done properly) or step in (for a reason). The GK and defenders are not entitled to a delay to be ready. Moreover, it isn't really an insurance policy. The IFK is only supposed to be retaken for lack of a signal if the ball goes directly into the goal.

I'm sorry, I think this is terrible advice. I don't think referees should play games by deliberately doing things incorrectly--either let it go (if done properly) or step in (for a reason). The GK and defenders are not entitled to a delay to be ready. Moreover, it isn't really an insurance policy. The IFK is only supposed to be retaken for lack of a signal if the ball goes directly into the goal.

Agreed. I understand there are tricks of the trade so to speak but to openly go out of your way to misapply the LOTG seems like a counterproductive measure.

Since we are picking on the post, with good intentions of course, my 2 cents worth.

I think the advice is just going the wrong way about it. There is no need for pretence here. If you don't really want it quick, rather than thinking I should keep my arm down just double blow on the whistle, it's on the whistle guys. Quickie avoided.

Now if you don't have enough time to do that (which mean you won't have time to think on what you should do with your arm either) then the advise becomes irrelevant . In either case if the kick is that quick and no others reason to stop it, should you really stop it just because you don't want a QFK in the area? What would be the basis of any complains from the defending team? I say just let happen if this case.

Since we are picking on the post, with good intentions of course, my 2 cents worth.

I think the advice is just going the wrong way about it. There is no need for pretence here. If you don't really want it quick, rather than thinking I should keep my arm down just double blow on the whistle, it's on the whistle guys. Quickie avoided.

Now if you don't have enough time to do that (which mean you won't have time to think on what you should do with your arm either) then the advise becomes irrelevant . In either case if the kick is that quick and no others reason to stop it, should you really stop it just because you don't want a QFK in the area? What would be the basis of any complains from the defending team? I say just let happen if this case.
Agree with you. There are fors and against, for sure.
But if it is truly taken quickly and correctly then you'll have little time to think about it anyway as you say.
I still stand by, that (I think) football expects a ceremonial restart here because 99.99999 percent of the time it is.
I think there is always normally a pause where everyone tries to work out what you have given that no one ever thinks to take it quickly, or by the time they have realised the opportunity has passed, which I l think is why most people would expect to see a ceremonial restart. I think most people would be surprised by a quick free kick. And I do like a no surprises approach. However that isn't to say I would never allow it, but that all the criteria for it to happen need to be met before I would allow it.
I like what someone else said above, so long as I am not involved in confusing the opposition then I'd be happy about it.
It's not a neve say never but think I would lean towards ceremonial if any sprinkling of doubt about it being done correctly.

I have been in this very position.

it was an U14 inter school County Cup game. Ball kicked back to keeper who gathers. I blow and indicate free kick. Keeper throws ball to attacker (I think this was a function of age and innocence - probably wouldn’t happen in OA game where players are a little more cynical & street wise). Attacker spots ball, taps it to his team mate, who scores.

I did consider off side - only people in the area were me (ref), keeper and two attackers - but it wasn’t off side, goal given.

The goal only came about because of the naivety of the keeper in throwing the ball to the attacker, and the quick thinking of the attacker.

This was about three years ago, but I still think about it.

Would I do anything differently? The only thing I might change is awarding the free kick. On reflection, at the standard and ability of this game, it possibly wasn’t a passback, but just a defender kicking the ball and it ended up going Back into the arms of the keeper. But, once I’ve given the IDFK I’m happy with everything else. The quick thinking of the attacker is/was a skill to be appreciated and rewarded.

And remember, a “ceremonial“ attacking free kick in the area can also very quickly lead to a whole heap of difficulties.

Generally speaking I think the game expects free kicks in goal scoring positions to be ceremonial and "on the whistle". If you don't allow it to be taken quickly it would have been forgotten about by the end of the game, I very much doubt the same could be said if you allowed it and a goal was scored.

This ^ ^ ^ :)

Generally speaking I think the game expects free kicks in goal scoring positions to be ceremonial and "on the whistle". If you don't allow it to be taken quickly it would have been forgotten about by the end of the game, I very much doubt the same could be said if you allowed it and a goal was scored.
I know you say generally, but I would also like to point out the opposite of your reasoning is quite possible.
Team in the 90th minute takes a FK very quickly with everything right and a very good chance of scoring (like the U14 game example above) you stop the game to make it ceremonial everyone would remember it for the wrong reasons and you end up with protesting attackers (like a goal scoring opportunity advantage you should play but you don't). Allow it and everyone would remember it for the right reasons. Not about your decision but how aware the attacker was.

My point is, don't preempt your decision. Judge each situation on its merits and make a decision which is fair on the balance and within the framework of the LOTG. You'd find it would also be what the game expects for that specific situation and the least impact to your game control.

Keep on moving towards everything being 'ceremonial' and we'll end up with American Football.
Let's encourage the 'thinkers' - we usually complain that they don't know the rules!

Back