A&H

Pass Back

Red Card?

• Total voters

Southend-ref

Southend United Supporter
Level 6 Referee
I could not find the right video so this is the next best thing (excuse the music):

Had Van Der Sar dived and saved with his hand obviously it would have been an IFK, but would he have been sent off?

I've seen one where that happened and the keeper wasn't sent off but surely that's DOGSO-H?

The Referee Store
No need to excuse the music, that's what I hear in my head anyway when I watch rio play! :)

As Ross says, inside the area IDFK only, outside the area DFK and DOGSO (possibly, this is an odd one as the "shot" is by his own player with an on rushing opponent.)

A GK is allowed to use his hands in his own area. The law was introduced to stop time wasting so should be administered by officials in the same spirit. A back pass that is overhit is surely not a back pass anymore? Therefore the GK is allowed to save it, but if he picks it up or controls it with his hands, then it should be an IFK.

A GK is allowed to use his hands in his own area. The law was introduced to stop time wasting so should be administered by officials in the same spirit. A back pass that is overhit is surely not a back pass anymore? Therefore the GK is allowed to save it, but if he picks it up or controls it with his hands, then it should be an IFK.
Just because a back pass is overhit, that doesn't mean it wasn't intentionally passed back by the player therefore it's still an indirect free kick. Though as the LOTG state, the keeper can't be guilty of missconduct by handling in his area so as I understand it, it can't be a yellow or red (though I think there's a good case for classifying it as USB)

Firstly, blue aren't in possession of the ball, so they do not have an obvious goal scoring opportunity. (Defensive ****-ups don't count I don't think)
Secondly, it is an intentional pass back to his goalkeeper.

So, if VDS dived and saved with hands, then the offence would only be handling after an intentional pass from a teamate - IDFK, no card.

With a pass back you are only penalized if it was deliberate and passed back, right? See if you pass it forward to the keeper (i.e. the keeper is infront of you,) is that circumventing the rules regarding passback?

With a pass back you are only penalized if it was deliberate and passed back, right? See if you pass it forward to the keeper (i.e. the keeper is infront of you,) is that circumventing the rules regarding passback?
No - the law says 'touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate' - the direction is not specified

No - the law says 'touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate' - the direction is not specified
I always just assumed that the "back" part of passback meant it had to move backward but that makes sence

I always just assumed that the "back" part of passback meant it had to move backward but that makes sence
It's one of those things which doesn't have a name in the law, but has been given one by people and it is just assumed.

Back