A&H

"pantsing"

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 4W Referee
Had a bit of "****housing" from two teams at the weekend. One accusation of a finger repeatedly going up a players backside, I cannot watch everywhere at once and no NARs so didn't see it .

One I did see was a player at a corner "pants" his marker, pulling down his shorts so he can't move/is embarrassed. I gave a yellow for USB, felt like the right thing to do?

Player asked "what if he'd pulled down my pants too?" and I genuinely didn't have an answer for him. Red for SFP or OFFINABUS doesn't fit but equally I don't think exposing someone like that should just be USB

The Referee Store
Had a bit of "****housing" from two teams at the weekend. One accusation of a finger repeatedly going up a players backside, I cannot watch everywhere at once and no NARs so didn't see it .

One I did see was a player at a corner "pants" his marker, pulling down his shorts so he can't move/is embarrassed. I gave a yellow for USB, felt like the right thing to do?

Player asked "what if he'd pulled down my pants too?" and I genuinely didn't have an answer for him. Red for SFP or OFFINABUS doesn't fit but equally I don't think exposing someone like that should just be USB
Finger up the backside allegation is a similar process to discrimination protocol for me on the basis it is sexual harassment.
Player and secretaries are in post match to allege and for the alleged to be made aware of said allegation being reported.

And the 2nd incident, for me, it's a red card. Offensive insulting or abusive language or gestures.

Very easy to align pulling someone's pants down against their will/without consent with that imo.

Finger up the backside allegation is a similar process to discrimination protocol for me on the basis it is sexual harassment.
Player and secretaries are in post match to allege and for the alleged to be made aware of said allegation being reported.

And the 2nd incident, for me, it's a red card. Offensive insulting or abusive language or gestures.

Very easy to align pulling someone's pants down against their will/without consent with that imo.
Thank you! players accepted a yellow but I think you're right.

I really wish they change the word 'gesture' to 'act', it covers a lot more that should be red and easier to interpret.

A question on the "pantsing", would have have still yellowed if it was a ladies game?

Also agree any serious allegation must be a report. If true, he is sure to have done it before and will do it again. If enough similar reports go in from different games against different opponents then "authorities" will do something about it such as put a secret watcher on.

A question on the "pantsing", would have have still yellowed if it was a ladies game?
Very good question and I honestly think in that moment I would've been more unsure.

Now obviously I'd use a red regardless! But I agree in that moment I had the OFFINABUS wording in my head and it just didn't fit, but glad gesture can apply here.

Hoping not to catch flak for this. But a little of what the game expects here at grassroots.

If both parties are chill/laughing and the reactions are genuinely all in good spirit, then a yellow feels right. But if the game is heated or the player is upset, then straight red.

Things like this for me require a touch of common sense.

I am not suggesting this is red every time. Kind of like swearing is not red every time. OFFINABUS needs context. What's offensive in ine region may be common place in another.

However the description in OP suggests it was likely a red. It was done to embarrass (offensive) and the player asked what if it was done to the referee (offended).

I really wish they change the word 'gesture' to 'act', it covers a lot more that should be red and easier to interpret.

Also agree any serious allegation must be a report. If true, he is sure to have done it before and will do it again. If enough similar reports go in from different games against different opponents then "authorities" will do something about it such as put a secret watcher on.
Can't be bothered checking IFAB, but OFFINABUS includes conduct now, doesn't it? Changed a year or two back

Reactions: one
What's offensive in ine region may be common place in another.
Would be interesting to know if there are any regions where it is common place to pull down the opponents shorts during the game. I can’t imagine a circumstance in which such an act would be seen as a normal thing to do…

Thinking about this a bit more. I don't have a degree in psychology but they tell me everyone reacts differently in situations like this. Someone who has a lough or says nothing and gets on with it could actually have been negatively impacted a lot more than someone who has a blow up. It all depends on personality.

Ok. I'm making a degree in psychology a prerequisite to become a qualified referee.

Back