A&H

Palace v West Ham

bloovee

RefChat Addict
The penalty - anyone else think it should have been a FK the other way? Commentator said Gayle had got his body in front of the defender - it looked to me like the defender was likely to be first to the ball and Gayle lunged and took out the defender (lunge as in the two offences for which he was later sent off). Sorry, can't find clip online.

The Referee Store
I can't see that myself. Gayle's been clever. Irrespective of whether he stepped, stretched or even tip-toed, he's got himself into a position where he's going to be taken from behind (no innuendo!). It's always going to be a foul on him there.

The two lunges for cautions were clear-cut, the case for saying the same occurred in the PA not so.

Another weekend where a referee is accused of "spoiling the game for everyone" because that's exactly what we as referees do, we go out there solely to spoil the fun for everyone! :confused:

Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew: "I'm frustrated with the decision (Gayle's red card).
"Our striker gets booked for a bad challenge, quite rightly. The second challenge, the referee knows he's booked, he's missed it by a centimetre probably and he sends him off. "I thought a man of his experience perhaps should have looked at that situation and given him his final warning. But to send him off really spoiled the occasion for everybody. "I'm not excusing him from complete blame. The second challenge, he shouldn't make. He'll have to learn from that. Having said that, I still think it was very harsh to send him off.

What Pardew fails to mention is Gayle reportedly also had dig at the West Ham keeper after the ball had gone out, whilst he was already on a yellow card. Both fouls were nailed on yellows, as Pardew said himself, if your already on a yellow, shouldn't be diving into challenges risking a 2nd yellow!

I can just imagine Pardew's reaction if an opposition player had been given a 'final warning' in that situation! I'm guessing his concern about the 'occasion' would have been somewhat less in those circumstances :rolleyes:

Oh and fair play to Clatts for actually giving the blatant encroachment at the penalty .. unbelievably clueless from the player concerned

The problem is that the referee is an easy target. He does something correctly and get the blame for the defeat.
The quote should be "Gayle spoiled the game by being stupid..". Turn the teams around and would have been complimentary if an opponent had done the same, stayed on the FOP and scored the winner - off course not.

Even referees argue the 'he's already on a card, so we should be more lenient on him' approach. Which is ridiculous. why isn't it the player's responsibility to play like he's one mistake away from getting sent off???

I sit on the fence with this!

I challenge like Gayles second yellow, he wasn't close to winning the ball, Kouyte was going nowhere and it was in the middle of the park ... off you go.

change the scenario to it being 'just' out of the challenge, Kouyate is encroaching into a 'dangerous' position .... I may, just may, look on it differently and let it slide with a final warning

Back