A&H

Palace V Liverpool

The Referee Store
On the penalty, yes or no, doesn't really matter, bur surely we can ALL agree it is NOT a clear and obvious error by Kevin Friend.

The raising and lowering of the bar for 'clear and obvious' week to week is baffling.
Yes and umm no.
This highlights a problem with using C&O for subjective decisions...
Clearly and obviously wrong is linked to the outcome. If you think this is a penalty, you are more likely to see a clear and obvious error. I think the human brain really struggles with its wrong, but its not that wrong. In the mind if its wrong it needs correcting.
Clear and obvious for me is things like the Henry Handball. We've seen pens awarded in the past where actually an attacker committed the offence.
For subjective decisions, the clear and obviously wrong part is also subjective. I've said before one man's C&O is another mans clear as mud.

Yes and umm no.
This highlights a problem with using C&O for subjective decisions...
Clearly and obviously wrong is linked to the outcome. If you think this is a penalty, you are more likely to see a clear and obvious error. I think the human brain really struggles with its wrong, but its not that wrong. In the mind if its wrong it needs correcting.
Clear and obvious for me is things like the Henry Handball. We've seen pens awarded in the past where actually an attacker committed the offence.
For subjective decisions, the clear and obviously wrong part is also subjective. I've said before one man's C&O is another mans clear as mud.
Yes and umm no! :p

I would expect the man in the (Liverpool) street to be screaming "Pen!", and be astonished if it wasn't given.

BUT, surely the whole point of being an official at Stockley Park, is that you can evaluate these incidents with a little more time and no fans and players screaming in your ear.

Any top official in those circumstances should be able to say, " Hmm I think that is a pen, but can see why Kevin hasn't given it, on we go"

Its not a "OMG how has he missed THAT moment" - which is the criteria I would be using.

Right I'm off to my (hopefully) well behaved public school match now, on the best pitch you will ever see (No lie, the All Blacks train on it!) and then I'm off to shout at the referee at QPR;) - no VAR at either game - hooray!:p

Yes and umm no! :p

I would expect the man in the (Liverpool) street to be screaming "Pen!", and be astonished if it wasn't given.

BUT, surely the whole point of being an official at Stockley Park, is that you can evaluate these incidents with a little more time and no fans and players screaming in your ear.

Any top official in those circumstances should be able to say, " Hmm I think that is a pen, but can see why Kevin hasn't given it, on we go"

Its not a "OMG how has he missed THAT moment" - which is the criteria I would be using.

Right I'm off to my (hopefully) well behaved public school match now, on the best pitch you will ever see (No lie, the All Blacks train on it!) and then I'm off to shout at the referee at QPR;) - no VAR at either game - hooray!:p
Should be...

Enjoy. May the ball roll kindly for you this afternoon.
Can't say I'm too fussed how the ball rolls this evening 😂

With respect, you cannot have ever played centre half at even Sunday League level.
If Firminho doesn't jump, neither does the defender.
He then had a split second more to get across to Ox and (considering how close he got) he prob makes the block/puts off Ox.
OK, he might have a split second more, he still isn't getting anywhere near him though.

Should be...

Enjoy. May the ball roll kindly for you this afternoon.
Can't say I'm too fussed how the ball rolls this evening 😂
The ball did indeed roll very kindly for 'my' game - impeccably behaved players as usual, which makes the whole experience so much more enjoyable.

I gave a penalty without WW3 breaking out, gave a foul without anyone shouting "How many" and so on and so on.

Evening game, not quite so enjoyable, quite a difficult niggly game to ref I thought from the stands and in my humble opinion not one of Mr Davies' best, but no effect on the result whatsoever!

Back