A&H

Over zealous marking!

cdsman

I refereed U15s yesterday and had an interesting tactic by one particular player. When his team was defending a goal kick, or defensive free kick, he would closely mark an opposition player and follow him around everywhere - sometimes blocking his path causing contact, sometimes just jumping back and forth around him. It looked odd, a little like some of the marking that goes on in netball 'to keep your space'.

The player being marked, was clearly getting wound up by this 'overexcited puppy', but I didn't feel he was actually doing anything wrong. I did warn them both a couple of times that I was watching and couple of general "Hands down" as the kicks were taken, but once the kick was taken he didn't commit any fouls.

My main worry was that the marked player would react and get himself in trouble.... fortunately he didn't, but any tips as to other ways to deal with this. Not come across it before....

The Referee Store
I refereed U15s yesterday and had an interesting tactic by one particular player. When his team was defending a goal kick, or defensive free kick, he would closely mark an opposition player and follow him around everywhere - sometimes blocking his path causing contact, sometimes just jumping back and forth around him. It looked odd, a little like some of the marking that goes on in netball 'to keep your space'.

The player being marked, was clearly getting wound up by this 'overexcited puppy', but I didn't feel he was actually doing anything wrong. I did warn them both a couple of times that I was watching and couple of general "Hands down" as the kicks were taken, but once the kick was taken he didn't commit any fouls.

My main worry was that the marked player would react and get himself in trouble.... fortunately he didn't, but any tips as to other ways to deal with this. Not come across it before....
sometimes blocking his path causing contact sounds like a good reason to penalise him, which makes both aware that you are on his case.

sometimes blocking his path causing contact sounds like a good reason to penalise him, which makes both aware that you are on his case.
But penalise him how? The ball wasn't in play at this stage, so more like the 'jostling' that goes on before a corner. If it carries on once ball in play, no problem to award a foul, but otherwise what should be done?
I did make sure both players knew that I was watching what was happening....

- but I didn't feel he was actually doing anything wrong

- but once the kick was taken he didn't commit any fouls.

- My main worry was that the marked player would react and get himself in trouble....

I’ve highlighted these 3 points from what you said. If you don’t feel he’s doing anything wrong then there’s absolutely no need to get involved. If the player reacts and commits a foul, that’s on them.

The jostling etc. that goes on, particularly at corners is often close to the mark. Sounds like this was something similar.

As already advised, if he's not making physical contact with the player when the ball is in play, then technically, there's no case to answer.

Having said that, there's a moral issue here with unwanted physical contact/touching/intimidating behaviour. You're not allowed to do it to anybody in the street/in the pub/anywhere else so you could argue that you shouldn't have to put up with someone's hands or arms or body on yours (when the ball is out of play) just because you've stepped onto a football field. If nothing else, in the current climate (Covid/social distancing) there's a case for you giving the player in question a "final warning" for it and then perhaps issuing a caution for USB if it continues. Not saying that's what anyone should do - just what I might be tempted to do in the situation you describe. :)

Ultimately, it's down to you as the referee to deal with it as you see fit at the time, within the framework of the LOTG.

But penalise him how? The ball wasn't in play at this stage, so more like the 'jostling' that goes on before a corner. If it carries on once ball in play, no problem to award a foul, but otherwise what should be done?
I did make sure both players knew that I was watching what was happening....
As soon as the ball is in play, award the free kick and have a public word.
If you later need to take action, everyone will know that you had warned the player.
If he's making contact before the ball is about to be delivered into play, delay the kick and tell him publicly. That's a tactic to use at corners as well, especially early in the game.

You can warn him before the corner kick but please dont give a foul after it. A penalty kick for being annoying and slight contact before the corner is extremely harsh and desasterus for your match control.

You can warn him before the corner kick but please dont give a foul after it. A penalty kick for being annoying and slight contact before the corner is extremely harsh and desasterus for your match control.

Don't agree.
If the contact takes place before play restarts, you warn them for it and if it continues once the ball is in play, the absolutely correct thing to do is award the penalty (or the defensive free kick). Otherwise what's the point of you even being there?
Play stupid games - win stupid prizes.

And anyway, nothing could be more disastrous than your spelling of disastrous. ;) :D :p

Don't agree.
If the contact takes place before play restarts, you warn them for it and if it continues once the ball is in play, the absolutely correct thing to do is award the penalty (or the defensive free kick). Otherwise what's the point of you even being there?
Play stupid games - win stupid prizes.

And anyway, nothing could be more disastrous than your spelling of disastrous. ;) :D :p
Or your disagreement with with me for something I didn't say ;)

Looked at the positives, if it wasn't for my poor spelling / grammer, you would have not had the pleasure of having all these discussions with me, which by the way should account for close to half your debates on this forum ;) :p

Looked at the positives, if it wasn't for my poor spelling / grammer, you would have not had the pleasure of having all these discussions with me, which by the way should account for close to half your debates on this forum ;) :p

You wish .... :rolleyes: ;)

Why not just them to hold the restart, tell them two players to come over to you and have a public word. "You're very close to bringing the game into disrepute and that is a cautionable offense."

Back