A&H

Open Age Over officious CAR

Jack M

Level 6 Referee
Adult game today. Blues v Reds. Blue CAR is a referee on the league and helps out at the club on occasion. Bloody hell he was hard work. I was being assessed on this game, bear that in mind. I ask both CARs to do ball in and out amd offsides only. This guy (who says he has 29 years experience) starts flagging for fouls and keeps making comments to some random bloke (who happens to be my assessor) about my performance. He says I made the wrong decision to award the penalty to Reds was wrong. He said that to the bloke who then told him who he was and that I had got the decison right. I look over a couple of minutes later and the CAR is confronting the assessor. I tell the player about to take a throw in to wait a minute. I run over and the CAR says he will report the assessor as he doesn't know the LOTG. The assessor is a Level 5 referee and I have been his assistant on a few games, so I know he is good at what he does.

After the game, he and the assessor go off for a chat whilst I collect my flags from the Red CAR and talk to my grandad. The CAR apologises to the assessor, but starts pulling the "I am a Level 6 referee amd have been reffing for almost 30 years" card. The assessor then says that he is a Level 5 going for his 4, the look on the CAR's face was priceless!

P.S. the Blue GK was surprised when I didn't go with the CAR when he flagged for a FK and told the GK the CAR can't give FKs!! Complete ignorance on the GK's part

The Referee Store
Jack, if you are experiencing difficulty with a CAR then relieve them of their duties and seek a replacement. League rules will require a club to provide a CAR if NARs aren't appointed. If they don't provide one (or a replacement) and you report it to the league, then they will be fined.

You could go further and report the actions of the CAR as misconduct. That would look really good (not for him) if he happens to be a registered referee. You may not need to as I suspect your assessor will report his actions to your RDO (James Lisher?) and he (the CAR) may get a phone call asking what he thinks he is doing, especially when a fellow referee is being assessed.

The assessor was actually a good friend of mine as I have worked with him on numerous occassions. He said that because the CAR apologised to him he will let it slide.

The assessor was actually a good friend of mine as I have worked with him on numerous occassions. He said that because the CAR apologised to him he will let it slide.

That's really poor from the assessor. All he is doing is enabling that behaviour, which unfortunately means he will do it again and again; an apology should not stop you from reporting misconduct.

A good assessor supports his referee with any potential misconduct reporting as well as helping to develop the referee on the day.

This CAR is a complete tool who if he is a registered referee (which I doubt), need to be removed from the game.

Also poor from the assessor....if you're mates with someone you shouldn't be assessing them.

Need to keep a professional distance.

starts pulling the "I am a Level 6 referee amd have been reffing for almost 30 years" card. The assessor then says that he is a Level 5 going for his 4, the look on the CAR's face was priceless!

Dick measuring is all very well, but both parties are not exactly behaving in a professional manner. Poor from the assessor in particular to get involved.

Back