A&H

Ouch! and Oops!

haywain

the voice of reason
Level 7 Referee
Eight minutes into an OA pre-season this afternoon, corner to whites. Red defender alerts me to the fact that the keeper has a problem.

Went over to be told by the keeper that he couldn't feel his fingers on his right hand. That, plus the fact that a palm sized patch of blood had seeped through his glove suggested a problem of near Houston proportions.

Glove removed by the coach to reveal a huge tear between the keeper's middle finger and his ring finger along with copious amounts of blood.

Ouch!

Keeper's hand bandaged up, keeper packed off to hospital. Decision taken by coach not to risk further damage by removing keeper's shirt so second shirt fetched from car park for outfield player who was taking his place.

I explained situation to players, shirt eventually appeared and we got underway again after a nine minute delay

At the end of the match, handshakes all round. I approached the substitute keeper, told him, 'well done' and went to shake his hand.

You'd better not, he said, indicating his right glove ......with it's palm sized patch of dried blood.

Oops!

One more lesson learned and stored away for future reference

The Referee Store
At the academy festival this week I saw a 14 year old break his wrist, and a 12 year old kicked in the face (not diliberately, but that's another story). The lad that got kicked in the face was from the Norweigan team and was treated by an ice pack being rammed into his mouth!!

I used to be a keeper and i got my wrist broken by saving a penalty! It is not nice!

Back