A&H

Other player Removes Goalscorer’s Shirt

Cup final for me on Thursday, late on in the first half, a goal was scored to put the team ahead, the goal scorer celebrated with his team, diving to ground with a teammate who grabbed the goalscorer’s shirt, causing it to come off.

In the moment I concluded that this wasn’t an accident and a caution for the goal scorer was the correct action to take, however this was not without protest.

My question is, was it correct to caution the goalscorer, or should I have cautioned his teammate who took the shirt off him, also, if the teammate didn’t intend to take the goalscorer’s shirt off of him, is it still a cautionable offence?

The Referee Store
There are two aspect to this, the wording of the law and the spirit of it.

The wording has changed over the years. As it stands now Screenshot_20230603-161843.jpg

You must also keep in mind that USB is open ended and can apply to any act, including any goal celebration that is not listed in the book.

The wording as it's stands can be interpreted in different ways but memory serves me right it was written in a way that applied to the scorer removing his own shirt as it was becoming a trend FIFA/IFAB wanted to stop. That makes me think even if you argue if the wording doesn't require caution, the sport of this law would.

You are well within your rights to caution for this (though harsh if it was accidental). If I was to caution this I would most likely caution the team mate who did the shirt removal act as the goal scorer could have been an unwilling participant. But if the scorer continued to celebrate with his shirt off, I'd lean towards cautioning the scorer.

I pretty much agree with what @one wrote, though I would lead toward sumply cautioning the goal scorers, as I think it highly unlikely he was an unwilling participant. Sounds like a planned thing. But you have to read the event to sort out where the caution should go. (And I think cautioning both is possibly appropriate for the coordinated effort to circumvent the caution for him doing it himself, but I’d need to be convinced they were being deliberate knuckleheads to go there.)

and I’d have a really hard time believing shirt removal was an accident. . . .

There are two aspect to this, the wording of the law and the spirit of it.

The wording has changed over the years. As it stands now View attachment 6679

You must also keep in mind that USB is open ended and can apply to any act, including any goal celebration that is not listed in the book.

The wording as it's stands can be interpreted in different ways but memory serves me right it was written in a way that applied to the scorer removing his own shirt as it was becoming a trend FIFA/IFAB wanted to stop. That makes me think even if you argue if the wording doesn't require caution, the sport of this law would.

You are well within your rights to caution for this (though harsh if it was accidental). If I was to caution this I would most likely caution the team mate who did the shirt removal act as the goal scorer could have been an unwilling participant. But if the scorer continued to celebrate with his shirt off, I'd lean towards cautioning the scorer.
Appreciate this, and what @socal lurker says, the player was quite willing and happy to have his shirt taken off, and he didn't put it back on.

Back