A&H

Opinions

Jevon Swinscoe

Hi Ladies and Gents,

Please watch the video and say what you think?

Start it at 5 mins and you will see the tackle. At the time I went yellow but now looking feel like I should have gone red.

The Referee Store
I don't see a red there. High foot at the side of the player, at least careless, contact looks minimal from the video, so even reckless yellow seems a lot...

Hard to see from the camera angle but (on slow mo) it looks like studs to the back and then it slides to the side. Player reactions certainly point that way and I bet there are decent sets of studs marks on his back. If I am right it would be a red. The referee's position would not be too flash to see this though.

1570017590091.png

Hard to see from the camera angle but (on slow mo) it looks like studs to the back and then it slides to the side. Player reactions certainly point that way and I bet there are decent sets of studs marks on his back. If I am right it would be a red. The referee's position would not be too flash to see this though.

View attachment 3743

Agree, it's a bit like the De Jong tackle on Alonso in the World Cup final, but spotting it real time would need a large amount of luck in having the right angle, and it took me many attempts of watching this video to even think about a possible red.

View attachment 3743
That frame looks nasty...

The freeze frame is highly misleading though. It makes it look as it the player's foot has caught the opponent right in the middle of the back. On the video it's clear that the foot goes past the side of the player and appears to show minimal contact (if any) with the opponent. It's a poor angle to judge from admittedly, there may have been more contact than the video suggests but it's certainly not as bad as the freeze frame makes it look.

Back