A&H

Junior/Youth One of "those" games

Excellent advice in your penultimate paragraph. On one of the RA Zoom sessions and EFL referee said exactly the same!
Agreed and I have used it to good effect and give the same advice. However I must add, don't get caught out if it doesn't work. I have seen players again talking over the referee or just walk away after having their vent at the referee without the referee getting a chance. And I have seen the referee walking away a frustrated/defeated man. This can't happen. You need to get out out that encounter on top. That could mean a flash yellow or a slow calm yellow or a controlled anger blocking. One size does not fit all.

The point is, don't go into a situation with a plan and stick to it if it's not working. Adapt, change your plan if dynamics change.

The Referee Store
Agreed and I have used it to good effect and give the same advice. However I must add, don't get caught out if it doesn't work. I have seen players again talking over the referee or just walk away after having their vent at the referee without the referee getting a chance. And I have seen the referee walking away a frustrated/defeated man. This can't happen. You need to get out out that encounter on top. That could mean a flash yellow or a slow calm yellow or a controlled anger blocking. One size does not fit all.

The point is, don't go into a situation with a plan and stick to it if it's not working. Adapt, change your plan if dynamics change.
Excellent further advice, thanks.

In a twist of fate I have reds again this weekend.

I hope they've learned a lesson from last time and they'll have a clean slate like all teams I ref, but does anyone have any suggestions for getting on top of them immediately if they start to play up again?

I hope they've learned a lesson from last time and they'll have a clean slate like all teams I ref, but does anyone have any suggestions for getting on top of them immediately if they start to play up again?
Whilst they have a clean slate, you know the warning signs. Use the info you have to give yourself a plan of how you will manage it if its the same. Be prepared to be flexible with your plan though, it rarely pans out exactly how we expect

I have not read the rest of this thread again to remind myself of the context your post is pretty clear.

Think of them as a different team which behaves the same as the last one. If you need to change anything to what you did last time, it shoudn't be because it's the same team. It's because that's what you should have done last time you had them (reflecting on games tell us what we should change).

Back