A&H

Junior/Youth One of those days!

DAW7

Afternoon, as I've said on previous posts I qualified last August and at the moment cover youth football... looking to make the move to open age at somepoint soon but left today's fixtures with a definitive "why both" approach to that move! However, a number of the recent discussions on here played out in my fixtures...

Game 1, U15, pitch is a little slippery in parts but good nick overall. From the off the away coach was shouting about everything demanding that I make allowances for the conditions... we went through the motions and he eventually ended up being cautioned for a rant about players shouting "mine".

Temperature of the game was up and down like anything, but I think I rode it fairly well. Couple of yellows and a grumpy away manager but I found myself clock watching. Parents from both teams said I'd had a good game... we move on.

Game 2, U16, 3G pitch annoying wire across the halfway line for the nets to seperate the pitch into smaller pitches... before KO we agreed if the ball struck it we would take a drop ball... is this right?

Needless to say one of the drop balls was lumped straight into the goal... goal kick awarded, cue all sorts of protests.

I really struggled with the temperature of this one. One physical but very good on the ball team and one lump it long side. In hindsight, what the game needed was a flurry of yellows fairly early to kill it dead. Instead I'd work with the captains, it'd settle and flare up again later on. Also had a report of homophobic language to which the player seemed to take offence at the idea I couldn't sanction what I didn't hear, but spoke to the accused, the coach and reported it in my match report.

Again, a few cautions, two players sin binned but it never really felt like I had a hold of the game. Nor that either coaching side would be confident in my performance, away side won so they were full of praise when leaving. Home side didn't say a word besides paying me!

Anyway, waffling over, we go again tomorrow... U11s as a favour to the appointment sec, hopefully quieter!

The Referee Store
Game 2, U16, 3G pitch annoying wire across the halfway line for the nets to seperate the pitch into smaller pitches... before KO we agreed if the ball struck it we would take a drop ball... is this right?
Yes.

Also had a report of homophobic language to which the player seemed to take offence at the idea I couldn't sanction what I didn't hear, but spoke to the accused, the coach and reported it in my match report.
Don't forget to make an extraordinary incident report on WGS so that your County FA are aware of it, and can start to investigate (don't know if that's what you meant you had done when you say 'match report', but just wanted to double-check!)

Afternoon, as I've said on previous posts I qualified last August and at the moment cover youth football... looking to make the move to open age at somepoint soon but left today's fixtures with a definitive "why both" approach to that move! However, a number of the recent discussions on here played out in my fixtures...

Game 1, U15, pitch is a little slippery in parts but good nick overall. From the off the away coach was shouting about everything demanding that I make allowances for the conditions... we went through the motions and he eventually ended up being cautioned for a rant about players shouting "mine".

Temperature of the game was up and down like anything, but I think I rode it fairly well. Couple of yellows and a grumpy away manager but I found myself clock watching. Parents from both teams said I'd had a good game... we move on.

Needless to say one of the drop balls was lumped straight into the goal... goal kick awarded, cue all sorts of protests.

I really struggled with the temperature of this one. One physical but very good on the ball team and one lump it long side. In hindsight, what the game needed was a flurry of yellows fairly early to kill it dead. Instead I'd work with the captains, it'd settle and flare up again later on. Also had a report of homophobic language to which the player seemed to take offence at the idea I couldn't sanction what I didn't hear, but spoke to the accused, the coach and reported it in my match report.

Again, a few cautions, two players sin binned but it never really felt like I had a hold of the game. Nor that either coaching side would be confident in my performance, away side won so they were full of praise when leaving. Home side didn't say a word besides paying me!

Anyway, waffling over, we go again tomorrow... U11s as a favour to the appointment sec, hopefully quieter!
That's what it's all about... somewhat difficult experiences, a mixture of mistakes and good refereeing and ultimately... personal development
You'll be a slightly better Referee next time out
And that stepped improvement will continue gradually, unless the day comes where you decide it's not for you. or until the day you become the best Referee you're capable of being. That's a lot of tricky days at the office, but it's the same for all of us. That's the best thing about it... Tres Difficile

Last edited:
Seems both games have the same theme. You never established control from the start. Not going to quote the whole phrase again, but in short, refereeing is like riding a new horse for the first time. Or driving a new car for the first time. Or conducting a new orchestra. Get it under control first. And then, and only then, try let it flow. You will never ( disclaimer, very rarely) fully regain control of a game lost early doors. The damage is done. The players and cosches no longer trust you to make the right call/issue the appropriate sanction,
Esp for a new referee, if presented with a 100%, 90%, even 80% yc early on, take it.
maybe even a 50 50 is it, is it not, take it, nobody is going to thank you for not showing yellow, and its not your role to keep the crime count down, if they foul, and you deem it reckless, spa, take it..
A newer referee has enough to focus on, getting the actual decision right, positioning etc, without over thinking the man managment aspect....this comes more with experience rather than tutorial.

more a personal tip than written in stone, but, esp kids? Trying to work with captains is futile, the kids barely matured enough to handle his own emotions, nevermind anyone elses. Saying in passing " you want to tell your 7 to settle down" might help, making captain feel responsible short term, but, actually enlisting help of a 15 yo to see you through the game, no, weak refereeing imo, as much as its intentions may appear good. You take control, you issue your sanctions, you, and only you, conduct your orchestra. Slow, slow, bit faster, nah, back to slow, speed up a bit, speed up a bit,,,we now flow.........

oh and, if practical, I always advise getting your fee prematch, saves that awkward moment when one team feels hard done by, compounded by giving you £40 for the pleasure. Of course if its mandated where you referee that you get it post match, so be it.

Last edited:
saves that awkward moment when one team feels hard done by, compounded by giving you £40 for the pleasure.

Crap-eating grin as I'm given £70 from a CAR who thinks the opposition's winning goal was offside is still one of the greatest naughty feelings ever to be fair.

(and it wasn't offside either.)

Crap-eating grin as I'm given £70 from a CAR who thinks the opposition's winning goal was offside is still one of the greatest naughty feelings ever to be fair.

(and it wasn't offside either.)
U11 cup game, and one of teams I normally reffed for were playing away and suggested me to the home team as a ref. Home team went down 6-0 within about 15 minutes. Keeper had lost his head at the fact he’d conceded so many goals (a lot of them were his fault), and went flying into a challenge. It was risky but fair, he won the ball just as the player was about to shoot, but took a kick for his actions. Literally nothing in it, player was going to kick the ball, great challenge, keeper was caught but player pulled out rather than just full on kicking him.

Home manager was clearly not happy, and keeper came off. He was back on in second half, but outfield as his “toe hurt too much to go back in goals.” I thought the injured player would be more likely to go in goals than outfield, especially with 4 subs but whatever. Game finished 7-0. After the match I went to collect my money and home manager as he was counting out my money made his displeasure clear - “still think it should have been a red, the player kicked him.“ “We lost our keeper to injury which of course didn’t help us, shame nothing happened to them as a result” (I was tempted to remind him they had actually only conceded 1 goal since the keeper, who was also the managers son, had come off, but decided not to.)

Anyway to cut to the chase, I did think he was going to spontaneously combust when, after counting out all the money to me, I informed him he was 10 pence short. Got more satisfaction than I probably should have done. Never got asked to ref them again though.

(Also just realised this is an old thread so sorry to revive it but I was bored of work and procrastinating So ended up finding this thread)

Back