A&H

Open Age Oh dear, oh dear

boblardo

Level 5 Referee
On Saturday I officiated a game between two sides in a quarter final of a cup, Oranges v Stripes.

It was one of those games that pushed the referee to his absolute limits, nothing really bad happening but players having a whinge & a moan about everything. It didn't help that I had a CAR who was more interested watching the song birds than the game.

Anyway, the stripes attack with the ball down the left had side of the pitch, the player appears to have carried the ball over the touchline but as I couldn't determine if the whole ball had crossed the line I looked at the CAR who wasn't paying attention so no flag was forthcoming and i allowed the game to continue despite the "that's gone out ref" appeals.

An orange player then picks up the ball and I blow the whistle and award a free kick. After a few bemused looks and some shouts of "you don't know what you are doing ref" the stripes captain runs over and says "surely deliberate hand ball is a yellow card offence?"

I don't give the offender a yellow card and just allowed stripes to take the freekick.

Ironically, 30 minutes later the same orange player did deliberately stop the ball with his hands and this time he did get a yellow card for his trouble.

The Referee Store
Heh - I had one of these a while ago. The player who picked the ball up made some choice comments about my decision and I cautioned him. Of course, he and everyone else decided the booking was for the handball (despite my explanations), making everything ten times harder from then on...

Back