A&H

Offside Throw-In

The Referee Store
Wow, red faces all round. I'd be embarrassed to see that on a Sunday park game. Of course I am guessing that it's probably the AR (out of shot) who made the first goof, raised the flag and the ref blew up without thinking. Still comes back to his error though. This happened to me with a CAr and I was on the ball enough to shout immediately, "no offside, from a throw!".

Reactions: JH
My only embarrassment for offside came a few years ago when I flagged for offside from a goal kick. It was a similar incident to OP. Inexcusable but in my defence goal kick was taken quickly after a goal mouth scarmble. I didn't realise the ball had gone out and the long ball was from a goal kick. I wasn't paying much attention to play which was at the far end to me. At the time I wrongly thought I didn't have to make a decision on play that far away on the opposite half. Lesson learnt though. Even as AR, on top of keeping an eye on the offside line, you also have to keep focus on play with a trailing eye no matter where play is.

Happened a couple of years ago at Reading. Reading v Ipswich on TV if i remember correctly. Thankfully the referee didn't blow, but the AR certainly got some stick.

One of the reasons I became a ref, actually. Fed up of watching what I considered to be poor quality officials at Championship level.

My only embarrassment for offside came a few years ago when I flagged for offside from a goal kick. It was a similar incident to OP. Inexcusable but in my defence goal kick was taken quickly after a goal mouth scarmble. I didn't realise the ball had gone out and the long ball was from a goal kick. I wasn't paying much attention to play which was at the far end to me. At the time I wrongly thought I didn't have to make a decision on play that far away on the opposite half. Lesson learnt though. Even as AR, on top of keeping an eye on the offside line, you also have to keep focus on play with a trailing eye no matter where play is.

I've had a similar incident after a goal mouth scramble. Ref blew to say the ball had gone out of play but I thought he'd blown for the foul ..... Happened so quickly with the keeper trying to get it upfield that I didn't get a chance to register the signal from the ref after the whistle

Happened a couple of years ago at Reading. Reading v Ipswich on TV if i remember correctly. Thankfully the referee didn't blow, but the AR certainly got some stick.

One of the reasons I became a ref, actually. Fed up of watching what I considered to be poor quality officials at Championship level.
And now you’ve made some decisions and taken some abuse, do you feel differently about our champo colleagues?

My assistant flagged for offside from a goal kick in a contrib game, I wasn't concentrating properly and blew the whistle only to then think "hang on …". Away attacker was clean through at the time, so wasn't either of our finest moments.

It’s amazing how many defenders call it out verbally as offside and we all (hopefully ignore) and carry on regardless.

When I was a lot younger, and working as a CAR, our team took a goal kick. The ball went straight to the opposition who played it forward to an attacker standing completely unmarked just outside the PA, and clearly in an offside position (or so it seemed to me). I raised the flag, and the ref blew the whistle. The attackers all angrily pointed towards the goal, where I sheepishly noticed the defender who had taken the goal kick, standing next to the keeper, and both playing the attacker well onside. I was utterly embarassed. This all happened just about forty years ago, but I still vividly remember it every single time I see a defender take a goal kick. Experience, the greatest teacher.

Back