A&H

Offside Question

• Thread starter Deleted member 3684
  • Start date
It would have been a better training video if he'd passed it ...

yes, kinda willing him to do so to see what happens next !!! we can imagine he did that in our heads though
Its just a example though of how to follow the ball, rather than stay with the 2nd last defender....

The Referee Store
I might as well post again one of the worst ever offside decisions...

55 seconds in:

Even back then there was a diagram in the LOTG to make clear this was NOT OFFSIDE.

Newbie so please go easy on me.

Just had a question that has bugged me ever since an AR appointment a few weeks back.

A player breaks the offside trap and is clean through on goal he then squares it to a team mate that taps home.

My question is can the player that taps the ball home be in any way offside? (Receiving the ball from a forward or backwards pass).

My thinking was that once the offside line has been beaten it doesn’t matter what happens from then on in as you have beaten the offside?
There really is two separate events (phases - in offside speak) here to consider for offside. If there is no offside from the first phase then nothing from that phase is considered in the next phase (offside is reset - in offside speak).

T = player who scores with a Tap
B = Player who Breaks the offside trap

• Phase one - Starts when the ball is put through to B and ends when B touches it. In this phase T is not interfering with play (playing the ball) but if he is in an offside position at the start, he can still be penalised if he interfered with an opponent during the phase (by impacting the opponents ability to play the ball - more details in law 11). Not enough details in the OP about this so lets assume he did not interfere for any opponents.
  • Phase two: Starts when B kicks the ball to square it and ends when T touches the ball. T He can only be penalised if he is in an offside position at the start of this phase (nothing from phase one is considered here).
A player is in an offside position if he is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent (more complete definition in law 11).

@DCRef Here's an idea that helps some new refs--use it if it does, and ignore it if it doesn't.

Every time an attacking player touches the ball, you take a snapshot in your head for any OSP players (i.e., in the attacking half and closer to the goal line than both the ball and the 2LD). You keep in your head each OSP player to make sure they get involved until either (1) another attacking player touches the ball, in which case you shred the old snap shot and take a new one, or (2) a defender players the ball or the ball leaves the field--in which case you shred the snapshot and don't replace it, as no OS is possible until an attacker touches the ball and you create a new snapshot.

Back