Offside or Onside?

• Offside

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Onside

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters

HullRef

RefChat Addict
This video has divided everyone who I have shown it to.
What are your opinions?
Would you give it?
Do you think that the AR made the right/wrong call?
Does the defender make any difference to your Decision?

The Referee Store
brilliant!

yes, i'd give it
the a/r didn't make the right call....because, presumably, he didn't make a call at all
the defender should have played to the whistle

I'd personally give it as offside because the offside attacker's movement when in an offside position clearly distracted the defender. Not entirely sure though, I'm just going to have to hope that this doesn't happen in any of my matches!

He's not offside as the player does not become active in play and does not interfere with any of the opponents.

Can't see how that could possibly be offside. He didn't interfere with play, interfere with an opponent or gain an advantage by being in that position.

I can't see how this can divide opinion - who thinks it is offside??

I suppose - I just thought I might have been since it was the offside player's movement that distracts the defender and sort of interferes with him, although in a game situation I doubt I'd flag if I was the assistant

a more difficult question, perhaps, if your assistant had flagged and you'd seen it, would you have had the presence of mind to overrule him/her

Okay, I've changed my mind - I was going by the magic book in front of me (2012/13) in which that would be offside, but a quick search for the newer version proves that it was definitely onside as there is nothing in the new one about movements that distract etc. Maybe I should get myself a new copy!

Back