A&H

Offside or letting game flow??

Stylesm

Hi,

I recently refereed a game and had no linesmen so had to call offsides by myself. Early on there was a free-kick to Team A. One of the players on Team B decided to reiterate the point that I had no linesmen and I should watch for offsides. The ball came in and two of Team A's players were offside. However the ball went harmlessly into Team B's keepers hands so instead of stopping play for offside I let play go on in order to let the game flow yet I got an ear full from the player from Team B. Was it correct to let the game flow or should I have called for the offside.

Thanks.

The Referee Store
i've always been told to play an advantage in that situation but make sure keeper and everyone knows. remember a player isnt offside till he touches the ball though.

Clearly signal and shout that it's being played as an advantage from offside. Ensure you 'sell' the decision.

Eg

'Play on, advantage. Keep playing keeper, you've got the ball from offside'

As above really. Just make it perfectly clear that you're playing the advantage, big shout as Dan says. Although I've had games where it's not always beneficial to do that. Sometimes you need to slow the game down

It's not an advantage: there has been no offence committed until the player in the offside position becomes involved in active play. Whereas, according to the OP, the ball went straight to the GK, no offence has been committed and play should continue on unless, of course, you deem the Team B players to be guilty of Dis or USB at which point play should be stopped and the player(s) guilty should be shown the caution.

Further pursuant to this is: http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/footb...eing/laws-of-the-game/law/newsid=1290867.html

Back