A&H

Offside offense from goal kick

Playon123

In Law 11 it states
"There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from: goal kick ....."

A question around this:

A player in an offside position does not receive the ball directly from his team's goal kick, but instead interferes with an opponent who receives the ball from the goal kick.

There appears to be a general consensus that you can't be offside from a goal kick full stop, but I would think is this is an example of an offside offense under the LOTG??

Cheers

The Referee Store
Nope. You cannot commit an offside offence directly from a goal kick. Remember. It is not an offence to be in an offside position. Only if you commit an offence punishable in law 11. Which, as you pointed out says you cant commit an offence in that specific scenario

Nope. You cannot commit an offside offence directly from a goal kick. Remember. It is not an offence to be in an offside position. Only if you commit an offence punishable in law 11. Which, as you pointed out says you cant commit an offence in that specific scenario
You may have misunderstood his point. The literal law excempts PIOP if he 'receives the ball' from a goal kick. In his example the PIOP did not receive the ball from the goal kick so he can't be except if the law is used literally.

My understanding is the intent of the law excempts him. It's just poor wording.

For an example see Aguero v Mustafa in the League Cup final this year. Not offside.

You may have misunderstood his point. The literal law excempts PIOP if he 'receives the ball' from a goal kick. In his example the PIOP did not receive the ball from the goal kick so he can't be except if the law is used literally.

My understanding is the intent of the law excempts him. It's just poor wording.

Okay, I see what you are saying regarding wording, apologies. Should just say there are no offside offences directly from the following restarts.

This is the section of the law i'm referring to as the offense from the goal kick in my example:

2. Offside offence
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by
a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
• interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by
a team-mate or
• interfering with an opponent by:
• preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by
clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
challenging an opponent for the ball

But thanks for the advice

@Playon123 Just remember WHEN an offside offence can occur...

The ball is last touched or played by a team-mate.

The bit of the Laws stating "directly from a goal kick" (also throw-in and corner kick) is stating that if that is the last touch or play by a team-mate... there can be no offside offence, no matter what.

The bit of the Laws stating "directly from a goal kick" (also throw-in and corner kick) is stating that if that is the last touch or play by a team-mate... there can be no offside offence, no matter what.
Your reasoning is a good way to explain poor wording but not strictly true. The WHEN or exact time of the offence was clearified after the position of the free kick was moved to the location of the offence that is the interference itself occured. So the WHEN is also the time of the interference.

Quick question slightly off subject can a keeper score directly from kicking the ball out of his hands?

So ball in hands big punt down field ball goes in.. is it a goal?

Yes and he can also score a goal from a direct throw out of his hands (never heard of it happening).

Thanks mate - good clarification

Back