A&H

Offside incident

JoeMaloney5

Level 7 Referee
So the weekend just gone I had an incident where a midfielder tried to play a ball to an attacker who was offside however the defender tried to kick the pass away but miss kicked and kicked it behind himself straight to the attacker lino raised flag I waived him on as it was an intentional play on the ball by an opponent therefore in my mind the offside phrase resets (if it was a deflection he would've been offside) the attacker was brought down by gk so I awarded a penalty question is though was I right?

The Referee Store
Sounds like you have to be there, but from the impression I have in my head, your reasoning of the law is spot on. A badly-timed deliberate play does not negate the fact that there has been a deliberate play

From the way you describe it Joe then yes you were, unless the offside player was close enough to the defender to have affected the way he played the ball at the moment he mis-kicked. ;)

So the weekend just gone I had an incident where a midfielder tried to play a ball to an attacker who was offside however the defender tried to kick the pass away but miss kicked and kicked it behind himself straight to the attacker lino raised flag I waived him on as it was an intentional play on the ball by an opponent therefore in my mind the offside phrase resets (if it was a deflection he would've been offside) the attacker was brought down by gk so I awarded a penalty question is though was I right?
Most L7's wouldn't know this detail in Law or be able to carry it off, so nice work

I'll just pile on: well done. Alas, getting these calls right can lead to grief as they are all too frequently missed, so players (and coaches and parents) are perplexed by the correct call.

As above, well done for applying the correct logic. As for the correct interpretation of deflection vs deliberate play, YHTBT. Even the top referees can't agree on that for some incident due to lack of precise definitions in offside context.

Your description sounds almost identical to an incident in a recent game between Tottenham and Liverpool. Lovren played/deflected the ball, Kane in offside position was given a penalty. It created about 10 pages of debate here. Find the thread and you can read plenty of views on deliberate play vs deflection.

Had similar today. Centre back attempted to control the ball about knee high, made a completely mess of it. It flicked off the top of his foot and ran through to an attacker who was a few yards away from the defender and not interfering.

It’s a tough sell at grassroots level and almost guaranteed to upset people especially in your scenario where a penalty followed. Well done for sticking to your guns, sounds like the correct decision.

Back