A&H

Offside in open play

Eagles_wing13

It's been a very long time since I've played competitively, having moved to the USA from England. I just wanted to see if I can get some clarification on being offside or onside as a number 13. I was always under the impression that once the ball was passed by the opposition scrum half down there back line, during that phase the defending backs can not be offside. Please advise anyone that can help

The Referee Store
As Padfoot rightly says, you need a different forum. This is a football, or soccer if you are based in the US of A, and you won't find many rugby experts on here.

It's been a very long time since I've played competitively, having moved to the USA from England. I just wanted to see if I can get some clarification on being offside or onside as a number 13. I was always under the impression that once the ball was passed by the opposition scrum half down there back line, during that phase the defending backs can not be offside. Please advise anyone that can help
If the ball is in open play you cannot be offside. As long as you didn't start in an offside position before the play began. For example after tackling and a ruck is formed, if you don't then move yourself to an onside position you remain offside till the next play. The next play being a ruck.

*I'm not a qualified ref, but played rugby at a reasonably high standard. This is my interpretation and how I played.

Back