A&H

Offside IDFK from where?

Murri O

Player A is in an offside position to start with when ball is played through in front of player A. (Imagine long thorough ball). Player A gets on his skates and is after it. Defender chases Player A. AR doesn't flag because Player A has yet to become 'active'. AR holds flag down and runs down sideline with player A until Player A touches the ball and becomes 'active'. Boom! Offside.

(Hope I've explained that OK.)

Now where is the IDFK taken? Presumably from where he's become active.

It's just that I've seen these at a local level been given at the spot where he was initially offside and where he becomes 'active'.

Thanks

The Referee Store
Player A is in an offside position to start with when ball is played through in front of player A. (Imagine long thorough ball). Player A gets on his skates and is after it. Defender chases Player A. AR doesn't flag because Player A has yet to become 'active'. AR holds flag down and runs down sideline with player A until Player A touches the ball and becomes 'active'. Boom! Offside.

It's just that I've seen these at a local level been given at the spot where he was initially offside and where he becomes 'active'.

Thanks
The FK is from where the offence occurs so in your example, from where he touched the ball.

Thanks
Old habits are hard to break. It used to be where the player was when the ball was played. Several years ago it changed. but even at top levels it is not uncommon to see the kick from what used to be the right spot.

I plan on making more effort to indicate correct offside position next season
Continuing to move until an offside offence has occurred AND putting the flag up at the correct location demonstrates multiple competencies (that I've yet to factor into my game). Occasionally, putting the flag down and side stepping to the correct location to re-raise the flag is something else I'll be working on... but not excessively so

In practice, it is from inline where the AR stops and raises the flag. This is accepted and practised by everyone. Now if the AR does the right thing and stop and raise flag in line with where offside player became active then all is good. If not, while technically not correct, it's not the worst thing that could happen. Still go inline with AR. It stops confusion and whining of players. It generally has no impact on the game.

In practice, it is from inline where the AR stops and raises the flag. This is accepted and practised by everyone. Now if the AR does the right thing and stop and raise flag in line with where offside player became active then all is good. If not, while technically not correct, it's not the worst thing that could happen. Still go inline with AR. It stops confusion and whining of players. It generally has no impact on the game.
Except of course when the touch is in the attackers own half ;)

As much as it should be from where they became active etc, am prone to treating it like most defensive free kicks and ( usual disclaimer of game going ok etc) , quite content stretch the restart position to its most flexible.

if attackers ready to accept where it is, defender ready, esp if about to play ball back, sideways, then I get on with it

As much as it should be from where they became active etc, am prone to treating it like most defensive free kicks and ( usual disclaimer of game going ok etc) , quite content stretch the restart position to its most flexible.

if attackers ready to accept where it is, defender ready, esp if about to play ball back, sideways, then I get on with it
Totally agree. Whilst I always ask my assistants (on offside calls) to hold both their position and flag signal until the ball is correctly placed, if the defending team goes short or backwards from a broadly ok position then we crack on. If, however, they are trying to steal 10+m to punt it long into the opposition area, then we'll be moving it back to the correct spot!

Except of course when the touch is in the attackers own half ;)
If by 'except' you mean the AR being in line with the actual offence, but of course, as they don't go past the half way. But it is not an exception for free kick being taken inline with where the flag is raised. In this unusual case the AR raises the flag at half way and everyone, including the free kick taker think the kick should be inline with the AR. I wont stop them from taking it there. It saves a lot of hassle. But if they are smart enough and knowledgeable enough, they would take it further up and I would be happy with that as well. Since this change, I have only had this a handful of times and the difference has been only a few meters at most.

If by 'except' you mean the AR being in line with the actual offence, but of course, as they don't go past the half way. But it is not an exception for free kick being taken inline with where the flag is raised. In this unusual case the AR raises the flag at half way and everyone, including the free kick taker think the kick should be inline with the AR. I wont stop them from taking it there. It saves a lot of hassle. But if they are smart enough and knowledgeable enough, they would take it further up and I would be happy with that as well. Since this change, I have only had this a handful of times and the difference has been only a few meters at most.
And the advice we are given, to try and avoid players thinking it's in line with the AR on Halfway, is NOT to complete the second part of the offside signal (ie the bit which indicates 'which side' og the FOP the kick should be taken from). This leaves the referee free to indicate to the players exactly where he wishes it to be taken from ... ideally the spot where the offence took place!

Back