A&H

Offside from a penalty

Matthew Jones

Offside from a penalty?
Player runs up and hits a penalty against the post. An attacker runs up from from behind the penalty taker and hits the rebound from in front of the taker and with only the gk to beat. Gk saves it and the ball rebounds to a third attacker who was in front of the second when it rebounded to him. I cancelled the goal as the third player was in an offside position when the second took the rebounded shot. Right call? The defenders were very slow in reacting and the whole thing took less than two seconds to occur.

The Referee Store
Your title does not match the description.

From your description the offside offence was not from a penalty kick but from a kick when the ball was already in play. Treat it like any other offside. Your description satisfies the offside offence of a player gaining an advantage from being in an offside position.

It is not possible to be offside from a penalty kick. All players must stand 'behind the ball' at the time of the penalty kick.

Your title does not match the description.

From your description the offside offence was not from a penalty kick but from a kick when the ball was already in play. Treat it like any other offside. Your description satisfies the offside offence of a player gaining an advantage from being in an offside position.

It is not possible to be offside from a penalty kick. All players must stand 'behind the ball' at the time of the penalty kick.
Agreed . Sorry for the description. English is my second language. I meant the second rebound.

No ball rebounded to him.
@Matthew Jones what the question asked was about the position of the attacker who scored when the 2nd shot took place.

If that attacker is closer the the goal than the 2nd last defender AND the ball then offside is correct.

If the attacker was not closer the goal than both 2nd last defender and the ball then offside would be incorrect.

the third player was in an offside position when the second took the rebounded shot
Was the attacker closer to the goal line than the ball when the 2nd attacker shot?
No ball rebounded to him.
Now I am confused ! Your last answer "no" means he was not in an offside position. Your IP says he was in an offside position.

If you are not closer to the goal line than the ball at the time of the second shot then he is not in an offside position.

Oh. English is my second language too but we manage :)

Or more precisely, from a penalty kick that is properly managed. There is not an offside exception for a PK, so if the referee improperly permits an attacker to be ahead of the ball and that player collects a rebound, we could still have OS. (Whether an R who missed the improper positioning is likely to notice the OS infraction is another question all together.)

Or more precisely, from a penalty kick that is properly managed. There is not an offside exception for a PK, so if the referee improperly permits an attacker to be ahead of the ball and that player collects a rebound, we could still have OS. (Whether an R who missed the improper positioning is likely to notice the OS infraction is another question all together.)
So you notice the offside offence. How would you restart the game? More precise question, what offence is the restart for?

So you notice the offside offence. How would you restart the game? More precise question, what offence is the restart for?

Interesting question. Given the extent to which trifling is used for encroachment on PKs, I'd probably go with the OS, but could certainly go with the Law 14 offense--ultimately not a big difference.

I was initially thinking that the R would always have egg on his face for not making sure everyone was in the proper place before the kick was taken, but it could equally be a player on the side who moved up after the whistle, before the kick--which could be easy to see being slightly ahead of the ball as trifling, while the OS remains clear. But I think this is all theoretical--before players had to be on the ball it was common for player to line up close to the goal line (though more often it was defenders) to try to get to rebounds quickly, but with the restriction to behind the ball, that just doesn't seem to happen as much).

Well for me it's not going to be trifling if I am going to call an offence for it. So I'd always go with the original law 14 offence. As you say makes no difference to the game. It would make a good quiz question though :)

the ball rebounds to a third attacker who was in front of the second when it rebounded to him.
It doesn't matter where he was when the rebounded ball reached him, only where he was when the second attacker took the shot. You still haven't really answered the question put by @Ciley Myrus - was the third attacker ahead of the ball when his team mate took the shot, or not?

"No ball rebounded to him," does not answer the question of where he was at the relevant point, it answers the question, "Did the ball go to him directly from a team mate?"

The law says that to be in an offside position, a player must be nearer to the opponents’ goal line than the ball (as well as the second-last opponent). So we can be sure what was going on here, please tell us clearly - was the third attacker nearer to the opponent's goal line than the ball when the last touch by a team mate (the second attacker) occurred?

Back