A&H

Offside Clarfication

But it is not an offence to be in an offside position so the offence simply cannot take place before any subsequent touch by a defender.

By simply being in an offside position they have done nothing wrong, even if any pass by a team mate was intended for them.
FIFA LOTG Diagram 4 in the interpretation section states that the player does not have to touch the ball in such a scenario where he is the only player that can receive the ball.
Therefore the player IS committing an offence the moment his teammate passes the ball in his direction AND before the defender gets a touch to it.

I would give it offside everytime.

The Referee Store
you're right, jertzee, it does. however in the that diagram there is no touch by a defender so you're dealing with a different scenario

you're right, jertzee, it does. however in the that diagram there is no touch by a defender so you're dealing with a different scenario

Yes and no.
If the referee blows the whistle for oofside BEFORE the defender touches it then it is a free kick to the defending side.
If, however, the referee delays for a second, is about to blow for a free kick but the defender then touches it, you can't have the first decision rescinded by the defenders touch.
We are always told to give the first infringement if two happen quickly in succession (I know hte defenders touch isn't an infringement but same idea)
So in this scenario the player was offside first so that has to be given - he suddenly doesn't become onside as a result as the ball has already been played.

i love these discussions and hopefully the thread doesn't get 'stopped' because agreement is unlikely

i'd argue that the referee in your first scenario blew his whistle too early

i'd argue that, if he was about to blow 'but then the defender touched it', he would then have to base his decision on whether the touch was deliberate or not

you're right, the defender's touch isn't an infringement, so i'd argue that your point about giving the first infringement doesn't apply

i think i understand that the argument you are making is about the ball being played to a player in an offside position where this player is the only one who has a chance of playing the ball but, in this case, the ball was played short, a defender got a touch and a referee should be prepared to review his decision

happily for all, 'in the opinion of the referee' and 'the referee's decision is final' mean that any decision is, arguably, the correct one :)

FIFA LOTG Diagram 4 in the interpretation section states that the player does not have to touch the ball in such a scenario where he is the only player that can receive the ball.
Therefore the player IS committing an offence the moment his teammate passes the ball in his direction AND before the defender gets a touch to it.

I would give it offside everytime.
He can't be the only player that can receive the ball - otherwise the defender wouldn't be able to touch it.

If the defender touches it then there are at least two players who can receive the ball, the defender and the attacker the pass was meant for.

If the ball reaches the attacker he has gained an advantage by being in an offside position, if the ball doesn't get through to him, but goes back to keeper or to another player - no offence as he hasn't fulfilled any of the criteria to make it an offence.

1. Onside. Defender has made a deliberate attempt to play the ball, therefore the striker has not gained an advantage from being in an offside position.

2. Player can still be offside from a backwards pass. Think of the requirement for offside; if the player is closer to the goal line than the ball, meaning if he is ahead of the ball when it's played, he is offside, no matter if it's played forward, sideways or back.

2. Player can still be offside from a backwards pass. Think of the requirement for offside; if the player is closer to the goal line than the ball, meaning if he is ahead of the ball when it's played, he is offside, no matter if it's played forward, sideways or back.

I think most people have assumed that the second player is behind the first player and, consequently, behind the ball in the o/p but i can see where you're coming from

I think the problem is a lot of referees are trying to make the decision and sense of the new interpretations themselves. our association held our monthly meeting and a senior referee explained the interpretations and showed different examples. I'm not saying it made it crystal clear, but definitely easier to understand.

Back