A&H

Offside and Foul

Referee117

"No. I think we're just getting started."
Level 7 Referee
Hi all,

Had a game where I flagged for an offside, ref in the middle hasn't seen it so I've kept the flag up. Defending team then commit an offence, leading to a direct free kick, before the ref has seen my offside flag. My understanding is that in this case it should be a free kick, as the foul has occurred before the offside has been called. I can't find the location in the good book that mentions the order in this case to give. Could someone chuck their two cents in?

The Referee Store
From what you post, the offside comes first. If you as AR have raised flag to indicate that someone is in an offside position and should be penalised for being so, then, that's the first passage of play.

You might be getting slightly confused with, say a player who is in an offside position but has not been called offside (yet). If indeed they are fouled before they are in a position to be penalised for offside then yes, the free kick for the foul is correct, as the "offside" player has not yet become, well, actively offside.

As AR we should only be flagging offside when someone is worthy of being penalised for being thus, and this action precedes the foul, so, if am reading your post right, the offside should be awarded.

edit, page 94 is probably giving you what you seek....

From what you post, the offside comes first. If you as AR have raised flag to indicate that someone is in an offside position and should be penalised for being so, then, that's the first passage of play.

You might be getting slightly confused with, say a player who is in an offside position but has not been called offside (yet). If indeed they are fouled before they are in a position to be penalised for offside then yes, the free kick for the foul is correct, as the "offside" player has not yet become, well, actively offside.

As AR we should only be flagging offside when someone is worthy of being penalised for being thus, and this action precedes the foul, so, if am reading your post right, the offside should be awarded.

Thanks Ciley, that's the exact situation I was getting confused with.

I find it rare the offside player is fouled tbh.....of course someone else might find it happens to them every other game, but, very very rare in my experience.
Majority of time, the play should be pulled back to your offside flag (assuming of course the referee is content your offside was correct and he has not actually over ruled the flag_)

I had it similar on Sunday and think i made the wrong call.

Team attacking and player puts ball through to an attacker who is offside but the player who played the original pass was taken out after the pass, i did try and play advantage but ten gave offside.

Should i have brought it back for the original foul as the advantage never actually happened.

I had it similar on Sunday and think i made the wrong call.

Team attacking and player puts ball through to an attacker who is offside but the player who played the original pass was taken out after the pass, i did try and play advantage but ten gave offside.

Should i have brought it back for the original foul as the advantage never actually happened.

Foul. There was no advantage as you rightly point out. Folk will say, there was an advantage, and the striker is to blame for being offside but no, the foul is the correct decision here.

I'd also add that the answer changes if the attacking team manage to take the FK before the ref realises his mistake. You can change any decision up to the point where the game has restarted again.

Back