A&H

Offinabus

boblardo

Level 5 Referee
my fixture got called off but was lucky enough to get a reappointment

Spoke to both teams prior to the game re foul language "i will you the courtesy of not swearing at you but I expect the courtesy in return" that kind of thing

Game kicks off and way team 2-0 inside 11 minutes with 2 goals from number 9. However #9 also feels it appopropriate to name call and contest each decision from the CAR, using the step up approach it got to final warning stage. He gets caught offside and turns to the CAR and says "I was never effing offside". I cautioned the #9 for dissent and he comes down

2nd half kicks off, a challenge from away team v the home team full back, robust not unfair so I allow play to continue the fb gets up and runs towards me shouting "how is that not an effing foul ref, that's effing shocking"

As the ball is out of play I call him over and go to caution him at which point he says "you're biased and a effing cheat ref"

I immediately send him off for Offinabus

Wry few complaints from the team

After the game he goes to apologise stating "I over reacted but you only booked the other player so clearly sending me off is cheating and biased"

I told him to zip it otherwise he was risking an additional misconduct charge he just kept going and going

Luckily the home team manager shut him up and even turned to say "great game today ref some of these players need to learn the hard way"

My question really is do you think the caution and sending off were correct?

The Referee Store
You set your tolerance level early in the game and made it very clear. So the players can only have themselves to blame for any cautions.

As for being called a cheat. What else was he expecting? Idiot!

I'm not doubting the cards I feel both were correct

was I unjust, would 2 reds have been correct

So it's only the first yellow you have doubt of?

I would say from what you describe as nailed yellow, not red.

If you've used stepped approach and he's still come out with that rubbish afterwards then he can't complain (although probably will anyway).

Obviously you would need the context of how it was said to be sure, but given the phrase and 99% of the ways that's usually said it a yellow all day long.

Again, Turning it round: what makes you question if it should have been a red?

Not doubting the red and feel yellow was right too

But as I'm being picky, is it inconsistent to give a yellow for swearing then a red or as above should it be taken in context

IMO spot on.

Yellow was more dissent from the sound of it than the actual swearing.

Swearing is irrelevant in the red - Call me a cheat and expect an early shower every single time.

Got to agree that both cards were correct. Doubt my integrity and you're going. What I have a problem understanding is why any player thinks that at our general level we have any interest in being biased against the dog and fox versus the red lion pub team. Get over yourselves players, you're just not that important enough for me to lose integrity over.
(Just to stop it before it comes, I wouldn't cheat on an international game etc either so not saying there are times when it's okay).

Got to agree that both cards were correct. Doubt my integrity and you're going. What I have a problem understanding is why any player thinks that at our general level we have any interest in being biased against the dog and fox versus the red lion pub team. Get over yourselves players, you're just not that important enough for me to lose integrity over.
(Just to stop it before it comes, I wouldn't cheat on an international game etc either so not saying there are times when it's okay).

Ditto. I have said on many occasions to players when the shouts of '2 teams ref' or the like I have no interest in the outcome of the match whatsoever.

P.S. @CiaranK great save on the disclaimer at the end of this before the technicality police got involved!

I like the whole biased thing. I once sent a player off after about 5 minutes for calling me a cheat. Obviously I got the usual guff about ruining the game. Then some old boy said to me "I hope you can sleep tonight!" As if I was going to spend the entire evening agonising over it. I just said "yes I will thank you."

I like the whole biased thing. I once sent a player off after about 5 minutes for calling me a cheat. Obviously I got the usual guff about ruining the game. Then some old boy said to me "I hope you can sleep tonight!" As if I was going to spend the entire evening agonising over it. I just said "yes I will thank you."

"Oh aye - I'll be up all night playing over the incident in my mind of the easiest decision I made in the game, regarding a bloke I don't know who has the cheek to question my motives in a game that means nothing to me"

I've never worried about a card I've given. Theres only been a few instances that have played on my mind in the evening and those were on goals I'd given where I knew I wasnt sureif it had crossed the line or not. It was silly decisions made getting caught in the moment and havent done it since. Knowing you've given a dodgy goal isnt a good feeling.

Both cards were spot on. You warned the players before the game and then used the step approach, culminating in the first yellow for showing dissent. The second player would have got the same treatment but unfortunately he doesn't understand that you're not his mate and therefore calling you a cheat is offensive. Players don't see that there are different levels and that if you class something as offensive then you will deal with it more strongly than a general comment. They assume all swearing is the same.
Unfortunately they see professional players obviously getting away with abusing the Referee week in week out, so consider it acceptable behaviour.

Back