A&H

Obvious Misconception

Peter Grove

RefChat Addict
I imagine were going to hear this over and over, this season (on and off the pitch). Robbie Fowler, talking about the first sending-off in the Malta vs Scotland game, stated quite categorically that according to the "new rule" a player can't be sent off [for DOGSO] if the referee awards a penalty.

Even though Jacqui Oatley immediately corrected him, quoting the law accurately, his follow-up remark seemed to imply that he still didn't accept that he was wrong.

The Referee Store
Pundit gets it wrong. Not really worth a thread! Now news is when Mark Halsey is claiming PGMOL told him to say he hadn't seen incidents when he had...

Now news is when Mark Halsey is claiming PGMOL told him to say he hadn't seen incidents when he had...

Yes, and that's why I already started a thread about that.

Pundit gets it wrong. Not really worth a thread!
The problem is not so much that he got it wrong it's more a question of what most players will go by - the actual law (which they, like him, almost certainly haven't read) or the pundit they heard talking about it on TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, and that's why I already started a thread about that.
Sorry, I didn't immediately connect the thread title "Can of worms" with the Halsey allegation! Though trying not to get too detailed about the particular incident (you could read a lot more on http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forums/bluemoon-forum.1/ ....) the system is inherently open to bias, as Mike Riley has said they don't review every incident, only those highlighted in the media - so the media choose whether to show incidents in edited highlights and choose what to put on a continuous loop. Plus if a referee gives a yellow card when he should have given red, it means retrospective action for stuff "not seen" by the referee is often punished more severely than worse VC that was seen and not punished appropriately.

Although he was probably right here, not about it not being possible to send off a defender for DOGSO, but this decision was so badly wrong it was unreal. The defender hasn't even tried to tackle the forward, and rather has tried to get in front of him to block the short that hadn't yet happened. And to add insult to injury he hasn't actually touched the attacker, nor has he really even got close to him, and I have no idea whatsoever how the Ukranian referee came to the decision that it was a penalty let alone DOGSO.

Back