A&H

Junior/Youth not shaking hand

Ryan

THE REF
Level 7 Referee
I was refereeing a game the other week (u13s) and i gave a decision that didn't go a players way and when it game to the end of the game, i put my hand out the shake his( as its a respect league) and he looked at me and blatantly gave me the evils and walked off without shaking my hand, i did nothing should i have booked him for dissent or what? advise please :)

The Referee Store
I don't think so. it is not showing decent to your decisions during the game. Not arguing with you. They don't have to shake ur hands at the end of the game.

Do you note down all the players who shake ur hands and book those that don't - I assume not

Ryan its not dissent as its not bringing the game into disrepute or arguing with a decision that you have made, although its a respect league how do you keep track of whose hand you've shaken or not?

For what it's worth I reffed a game on Saturday and had them line up for the Respect Handshake (a respect league) and was asked by one or two players if this was something new! One player told me that they had been playing all season and this was the first time that they had been asked to do it. Sometimes, we don't help ourselves.

I have had the same as that Mick, but I have to do the handshake before every match in my league, so I just tell both managers "we will be having the handshake before the match as well, thanks".

I lined up 2 teams (u15) for respect handshakes and they just walked straight past me! In my opinion hand shakes shouldn't be mandatory. I know there's the whole respect agenda etc but its an unnecessary opportunity to raise tensions even before the game has started. E.g. If there's 'history' between two players and you try and make them shake hands, there is a chance that they'll refuse and erupt a dormant situation (best analogy I could think up :p )

The only problem - in my league you must have the handshake before every match!

Back