What would you do?

• Give pen

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Book striker for diving?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Little Derek

Level 7 Referee
Yesterday I had a very tricky one, a player was through 1 on 1, the keeper came out and the player went over the top of him, the ball stayed in play, I didn't think the keeper touched him, I didn't think the striker dived, just jumped to avoid contact but couldn't stay on his feet to finish. Cue a defender bearing down on the grounded striker calling him a cheat for diving etc and giving then hand bags when the stoker got back up. All whilst the ball was still in play. What I had hoped was that the keep would pick it up and boot it up field and we could move on. What I did was blow up, caution the defender for adopting an aggressive attitude, saying maybe he dived but he hasnt fooled me as I didn't give a pen, you should know better and have carried on. I then have an indirect free kick, which I believe was my biggest mistake although neither teams complained, the attacking team tapped it to the keeper and play resumed.
Any advice?
Any questions? It's been beating my up all day and next time I'd blow straight away and give a decision one way or another , not let it get out of hand, although some of the places I referee I wouldn't be too keen accusing a player of cheating when I'm not 100% and booking them for diving could also cause it to get out of hand.

The Referee Store
If you stop the game to caution a player for a non-penal offence then the correct restart is an IDFK, so you got that part right at least.

Back to my foul in the area thread .........had a midfielder slid in on an opponent in the centre circle and the player had to jump to avoid the challenge .....and gained no advantage

It would be getting called back for a foul all day long .....

So .....why wasnt it a penalty ?

Not a critisism in any way Derek , just putting the point back out there :)

Impossible to really give any accurate advice here as you need to see this kind of thing. However, (from what you have said) if the keeper got to the ball first and the challenge he made was not careless/reckless etc then there is no offence - I don't blame the striker for trying to get out of the way either, better than him sliding late into the goal keeper which would really make the sparks fly :)

So I would say the course of action you took seems correct. The defender was guilty of a cautionable offence as you identified and the correct restart was an IDFK to attacking team. What the attacking team does with it is up to them - if I was playing in the game, I would certainly not be kicking it back to the goal keeper!

Regarding the original incident, play on I say, unless you think the keeper went in carelessly, recklessly or excessively etc.

Re the dissent, spot on in my opinion, we can't be standing for that sort of behaviour, but why did the attacking team decide to tap it back to the keeper? The defender unnecessarily unnecessarily and of his own accord infringed the LOTG and you were correct with the IDFK as @ELP says. If it had been me on the attacking team I would have tried to bury it, doesn't seem like the kind of scenario where you sportingly knock it back to the other team.

Without seeing it it's a difficult one. I would say if the striker had to jump out the way then perhaps the keeper has gone in a bit strongly. But I would say as a spurs fan Gareth bale used to get a fair few bookings for doing just that. And it was a fact of jumping to avoid the contact, then getting the booking for diving. It's a hard one to judge a lot of the time.

Back