A&H

No ref day

Ben448844

RefChat Addict
Some of you may have seen on Twitter that a junior league in Liverpool is proposing a no ref weekend, due to a number of senior and new referees who have resigned this season due to abuse from parents and managers.

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
Imagine if we all resigned from abuse, there'd be none of us left.

my thoughts are...when you sign up as a referee then enlist in leagues etc, then, you are making yourself avail as a servant to the game.
My thoughts are then, the league have a duty to protect, punish etc....if they are not doing so, then the problem is with the league(s)
my thoughts are, as a referee, I am not going to deny the well behaved players who wait all week for their game, train hard, eat the right thing, listen to their good coaches and wear their xmas pressie boots etc, what maybe their one moment of fun all week, because of the actions of those who cannot behave. To do so is to admit defeat and conceed that the bullies (cos after all thats what they are) have won.
You stand up to a bully, not run away

As this seems to be because of abuse by parents and/or managers then I'm inclined to agree with @Ciley Myrus. The fact that the problem is so bad that a number of referees have resigned from the league because of this says to me that, providing the problems are being reported, the league and CFA (as it is they who will deal with any managers etc that are submitted as misconduct reports) aren't doing enough to tackle the issue.

Why bother? Having a "no ref day" is simply something that clubs would have to allow for in their season (one match!!) and little else. It isn't going to change the behaviour of club managers/parents etc.

If you're a referee and are having issues with abuse/poor behaviour then simply deal with it and continue to report it to the leagues and County FAs. The best way to "deal" with abuse that you no longer wish to tolerate is to abandon the match. The effect is the same if not more consequential for all involved. Just my take on it though .... :)

Some of you may have seen on Twitter that a junior league in Liverpool is proposing a no ref weekend, due to a number of senior and new referees who have resigned this season due to abuse from parents and managers.

Thoughts?
Could well backfire.

I remember when I played in low grade all age. I personally thought that people were usually better behaved when we had a club ref than with an official ref, less dissent, less attitude and aggression.

It's almost like having the club ref lowered everyone's expectation of what to expect, so nobody got carried away at some of the terrible decisions - whereas with a proper ref...well, you know how that goes. Not overly bad, but noticeably different.

In a way I suppose that's a good thing that the non-qualified referees were treated with consideration, but all refs should be, of course.

I also don't think this is the right answer - punish referees by not letting them earn money and do what they enjoy, and punish the players who are doing the right thing.

Of course, I can't help but wonder what sort of sentences this FA has handed out for abuse, assault and similar problems. I'd guess 'inadequate' probably sums it up, like everywhere else.

If the FA wants to stop with abuse, first they need to exercise the tools they have, rather than doing nothing for years then implementing some stupid token gesture that achieves nothing, punishes everyone (including referees), and is likely to cause its own problems.

And that's it - just what exactly do they think this is going to achieve?

I like the above post

Pointless having a respect day, or a purge on foul language, or suspended bans etc....the answer is, guilty of excessive misconduct? Life ban. If you cant behave at the football match, then simply, you are not welcome.

Could well backfire.

I remember when I played in low grade all age. I personally thought that people were usually better behaved when we had a club ref than with an official ref, less dissent, less attitude and aggression.

It's almost like having the club ref lowered everyone's expectation of what to expect, so nobody got carried away at some of the terrible decisions - whereas with a proper ref...well, you know how that goes. Not overly bad, but noticeably different.

In a way I suppose that's a good thing that the non-qualified referees were treated with consideration, but all refs should be, of course.

I also don't think this is the right answer - punish referees by not letting them earn money and do what they enjoy, and punish the players who are doing the right thing.

Of course, I can't help but wonder what sort of sentences this FA has handed out for abuse, assault and similar problems. I'd guess 'inadequate' probably sums it up, like everywhere else.

If the FA wants to stop with abuse, first they need to exercise the tools they have, rather than doing nothing for years then implementing some stupid token gesture that achieves nothing, punishes everyone (including referees), and is likely to cause its own problems.

And that's it - just what exactly do they think this is going to achieve?
I'd refereed a dozen or more games before qualifying and I'd agree, there's a different attitude once you turn up in an official capacity. Expectations go up along with potential for disrespect etc

I've seen the discussion on Twitter, and I'm not sure it will help.

This season seems to be awful for abuse, dissent and bad behaviour though. They could follow my own county FA, who have decided enough is enough and I think they have now raised the fines. They've already hit two clubs with £500 fines, and apparently some players are being made examples of. Additional fines and punishments have been created for misconduct offences that seemed to be on the rise - Sent off players re-entering the field, spectator offences etc.

Hit them in the pocket enough times and bad behaviour will eventually get stamped out as clubs start struggling I'd guess? (Didn't a lot of us predict this uptick post-World Cup?)

But everyone on here was up in arms when the young Manchester referee called for a strike a couple of years ago.

Just today were our league finals here. Small population and everyone knows everyone. I am the ref admin, assignor and also blind apparently. I had the opportunity to walk over the 4 10U coaches today in the semis that there was absolutely no referees for their games. Besides sending someone off, one of the toughest jobs I have had to do. But you know what, they sorted themselves, I had to run a girls semi-final, and it all went beautifully.

A strike I think is the wrong way to go about things but I am not there. My league has started to seriously back the referee and it has helped. Zero incidents today.

Along with several ejections of fans over the course of the past couple of weeks has helped. That always helps.

Back