A&H

No more 2 in 2 but here’s 2 in 3

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 3W Referee
Was told by the FA that they generally don’t want their L4/3W officials doing two in two anymore. Because it’s not possible to mentally and physically prepare.

Lo and behold I’ve got a game Friday night ahead of another on Sunday afternoon.

does this not defeat the purpose?

A&H International
Genuinely though I’ll get home Friday after 4 hours of travelling at about 11:30PM.

How is that better prep than going a game Saturday morning on a full nights sleep?

The answer is obviously to close the date, which I’m going to do for future but I assumed the sentiment of not doing too many games close together would be applied from both sides.

Was told by the FA that they generally don’t want their L4/3W officials doing two in two anymore. Because it’s not possible to mentally and physically prepare.

Lo and behold I’ve got a game Friday night ahead of another on Sunday afternoon.

does this not defeat the purpose?
Not really. 2 in 2 allows for no recovery time at all. Where as having a whole day for rest and/or recovery does actually make a difference.

How is that better prep than going a game Saturday morning on a full nights sleep?

Friday 11:30PM - Sunday 2PM = 38.5 hours (inc 2 sleep periods)
Saturday 19:30 - Sunday 2PM = 18.5 hours (1 sleep period)

There is significant difference between 2 in 2 and 2 in 3. Greater recovery time inc. additional sleep periods. I'm confused at what you are getting at here...

Not really. 2 in 2 allows for no recovery time at all. Where as having a whole day for rest and/or recovery does actually make a difference.
See above my issue with that because of travel and late nights etc.

I’m aware I’m slightly unique in having a baby who will wake me up before 7 regardless but…

See above my issue with that because of travel and late nights etc.

I’m aware I’m slightly unique in having a baby who will wake me up before 7 regardless but…
Can't remember the last time my lad didn't have me up before 7 so no you're not unique in that respect. A lot of us are juggling family life alongside work and refereeing committments.

That's why the additional sleep period, as detailed above is important and much better than not having that extra sleep at all.

Can't remember the last time my lad didn't have me up before 7 so no you're not unique in that respect. A lot of us are juggling family life alongside work and refereeing committments.

That's why the additional sleep period, as detailed above is important and much better than not having that extra sleep at all.
I think mentally preparing for a game on >6 hours of sleep has a significant impact actually and then trying to catch up on sleep debt in one night isn’t really sustainable.

I think mentally preparing for a game on >6 hours of sleep has a significant impact actually and then trying to catch up on sleep debt in one night isn’t really sustainable.
But from a physical preparation point of view it's still better to have a rest and recovery in between. Something that was not happening before, no?
Everyone is different but from a mental standpoint, even on less sleep having a whole day to decompress the previous evenings game and 'prepare' for tomorrows. Interested in what that really entails... Travel plans, confirmations should all be done, so what's left a kit wash and a look at the league tables? How much time and effort are people putting into tomorrow's game, mentally and is that really that detrimentally impacted because we got an hour or so less sleep bearing in mind we've got an extra 20 hours to work in?

But from a physical preparation point of view it's still better to have a rest and recovery in between. Something that was not happening before, no?
Everyone is different but from a mental standpoint, even on less sleep having a whole day to decompress the previous evenings game and 'prepare' for tomorrows. Interested in what that really entails... Travel plans, confirmations should all be done, so what's left a kit wash and a look at the league tables? How much time and effort are people putting into tomorrow's game, mentally and is that really that detrimentally impacted because we got an hour or so less sleep bearing in mind we've got an extra 20 hours to work in?
Mental prep was what was stressed as the main reason to me. Maybe it’s just me because I’m autistic but a lot of the mental recovery and prep is just overcoming mental fatigue and lack of sleep basically means the opposite can happen.

Friday and Sunday is a huge difference to Saturday and Sunday, there's a full day's rest in between. Granted you'll be getting home later on a Friday than you would on a Saturday, but notwithstanding that you still get a full day's rest.

It is a much better system now than it was before. Back when I was L3 it was very common to be refereeing a step 3 or 4 game on Saturday, or on the line of a step 1 game, then be refereeing a WPL / WSL game kicking off 21 hours later. Yes, the women's games were less demanding physically, but they were often televised live, or filmed for highlights, so a big risk having referees doing 2 games inside 24 hours. On a similar subject it wasn't uncommon for L4s to referee a step 5 game on Saturday and line a step 3/4 game on Sunday or vice versa, usually where a ground share was involved, and your body cannot possibly have fully recovered in the time between those games.

Might be stuffed anyway as the boss has just extended my Friday hours so I can’t get there until 30 before kick off…

Back