A&H

Neymar

Sum total of my significant playing injuries so far (that I remember)..... 6 screws and a plate (tibia) colliding with a GK, wrist fracture (played rest of game), 3 ribs (different games - knee in the back on one and got stomped while on ground for the other), bruised spleen, 3 broken fingers (playing GK - 3 different single finger incidents, fractured L5 vertebrae, 12 stitches (6 from elbow to eye and 6 for a kick to face that drove tooth through lip), torn ACL (collision with GK on a corner. Tried to play again about 5 mins), torn quadriceps, torn MCL (2 or 3 times), torn calf more than I can count, add a concussion or two and several black eyes... number of times I rolled around on the ground....... ZERO.

Wow. This kinda reads that I'm an idiot for continuing to play now that I write it all down but I'm still playing next season and not rolling around on the ground

Last edited:
The Referee Store
I don’t recall any rolling around ever in any of my games, diving either, lots of the sneaky stuff at corners and all that including heatbutts but cheating in the Neymar sense wasn’t part of the admission fee.

I do agree that some form of retroactive punishment for obvious diving exaggeration would be a good step. Another thought would be a set minimum period of time where they must be off the field for medical evaluation. Some of these guys roll around like they are dying, then run onto the field 5 seconds after the restart. If it was that bad, then there is no way you were properly assessed medically before returning to play. Maybe if you could come back on the pitch leaving your team short handed for 5 minutes or more would change the mindset. Properly assessing the players injury and fitness to return being the primary goal though

I do agree that some form of retroactive punishment for obvious diving exaggeration would be a good step. Another thought would be a set minimum period of time where they must be off the field for medical evaluation. Some of these guys roll around like they are dying, then run onto the field 5 seconds after the restart. If it was that bad, then there is no way you were properly assessed medically before returning to play. Maybe if you could come back on the pitch leaving your team short handed for 5 minutes or more would change the mindset. Properly assessing the players injury and fitness to return being the primary goal though
Problem with this is it disadvantages players with genuine injuries
I'd like to see dismissals for simulation (cheating) in the box and equivalent suspensions for cheating in general. But this will never happen due to commercial pressure from sponsors

I dont recall, Maradonna, Fat Ronaldo or Messi rolling around like Neymar and sometimes CR7 Ronaldo do.... Is it a vanity thing???

Problem with this is it disadvantages players with genuine injuries
I'd like to see dismissals for simulation (cheating) in the box and equivalent suspensions for cheating in general. But this will never happen due to commercial pressure from sponsors
I would suggest that a legit injury (or one that takes you a minute to get up off the ground from) is likely going to take at least 5 min for assessment/treatment and verification for player safety that they are able to continue safely

Last edited:
it would need Brazil itself to say, sorry son, the way you are behaving n the pitch is not ethical so we are no longer selecting you for games.

Fat chance of that ever happening.

About as much chance as there is of getting Argentinians to admit that their hero (Maradona) is nothing but a drug-addled self-worshipping gobby little cheating ****!! :rolleyes:

I would suggest that a legit injury (or one that takes you a minute to get up off the ground from) is likely going to take at least 5 min for assessment/treatment and verification for player safety that they are able to continue safely

The problem is there is no way to know somebodys pain threshold. We all know Neymar overreacted but you can't conclusively prove whether somebody is hurt or not. An identical challenge can happen to 3 indivduals. One may get straight back up, the next be on the floor holding his ankle, the next rolling around play acting. On the face of it, one is play acting but you can't conclusively say that he isn't hurt and the person who got up and walked away isn't in some kind of discomfort but still trying to get on with it.

Back