A&H

Newly qualified ref- first match

Trackworker

Level 7 Referee
hi everybody, finished my basic ref's course and now got my first match this sunday, u15's match,
is that a good starting point for me (im 30) any tips and things to help me settle? (im not normally a nervous person but i'm a bit nervy) didnt fancy going straight into open age footie yet...

trying to get my '6' games before the end of the season to get to level 7.

any tips will be greatly recieved

The Referee Store
First of all, welcome to the site.

Is your game on the Peterborough youth league?

First tip, smile!

Second tip, try and relax, as difficult as it may be, trust me it helps. You'll soon get a feel for the game, and things will just flow and click in to place

Be sure to let us know how it goes

Starting with youths is a great way to ease yourself into it, just don't assume it'll be easy.

yep it is in the pboro youth league, wanted to do a few youth games to settle in first before going into open age football..see how it goes.

Out of curiosity why did you not want to go straight in to Open Aged games?
Have you ever played open aged football (at any level?)
Just wondering as I couldnt wait to jump straight in to OA games!

As for advice you can only give what you see there maybe up to 30 people bemoaning your decision but in the end for the majority of decisions you have the best view and you are right.

i proberbly will do soon, and yes played open football for a few years and seen many ref's get a hard time..
thought id do a step at a time

Always have positive body language, without being arrogant. Make a decision and stick to it (it's amazing how often your gut reaction is correct!) Talk a lot!

didnt go as well as i hoped, i think i let the play flow a bit too much.. and lost control a bit in the first half, but i seemed to get into it the second half and got it under control i think, was really hard, and i had a lot of hassle off a club offical and without going into too much detail on a public fourm (i had to report it) it was a lively affair.

did put me off reffing a bit i must admit, but i think im being too hard on myself, and need a few more games to judge myself and a mentor to come and watch.

We are all our worst critics! Try not to dwell on it too much and move on to the next game. Was Rob Windle your course tutor? Do you have a mentor?

no, its was dave seaman of the hunts fa who was my course tutor, not got a mentor as of yet, but hopefully soon...

That'll be me putting 2+2 together and getting 5. If you don't have a mentor in a couple of weeks, let me know, I get back to Peterborough every so often so could pop in for a watch

had my 3rd and 4th match last couple weeks, at U12 level and went a lot better, still the odd decision going wrong but getting a whole lot better.. and a whole lot better in dealing with annoying loud parents, and losing managers!!

"Still the odd decision going wrong" LOL - there isn't a season that goes by that we don't get the odd decision wrong but as long as they are small ones and you appear confident about those decisions, even if you realise a bit later that you get it wrong, then you will be fine. Eventually of course you will get a big decision wrong and you will "beat yourself up" about it which is natural but remember none of us a perfect so when it happens, accept it and learn from it and then forget it because the worst thing you can do is to let it play on your mind.

Remember, it is in the opinion of the referee. So it is what you say that counts.

Secondly it's all about angles. The coaches are generally static, but you are moving and can always go left for a better view.

So stick to your guns and enjoy your games. And look forward to the next game!

Back