A&H

Newcastle v Spurs

The Referee Store
3.5mm is the margin of error on that particular type of GLT.
What margin of error is there to the margin of error?
I'd say 3.5mm sounds low and specific. The true margin of error must depend on how fast the ball is travelling. I'm sure the ball is never particularly spherical when spinning, impacteingor reverberating. Anyway, it's a good system, 'quite' accurate I'm sure, but I doubt it's flawless

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margin_of_error

They've done a LOT of testing and statistical analysis on these. When they say that there's a 3.5mm margin of error, it literally means that statistically, that's the maximum relevant distance that comes out, regardless of how fast (or slow) the ball is traveling.
I clicked on your link thinking you'd directed me to some analysis of GLT
My argument was somewhat tongue-in-cheek that the media and fans will blindly believe in the technology and the amazing quote of 9mm. I'm not really interested in A-Level maths revision...ta

Anyway, rotten apples from me. I still follow Newcastle even though i'm not keen on top flight football anymore. GLT is virtually flawless i'm sure, I just got the hump with the 9.273mm thing as it was rubbing salt in the wounds; and clearly isn't as precise as that! I thought Atkinson had given a penalty (or something) because I'd no clue the ball had crossed the line in real-time :(

Back