A&H

Newcastle v Spurs - Lee Probert

Dave Mac

Being a Spurs fan I took in this game on Sunday after I got back from my game. Good game of football, not too many decisions for Probert to make and as a Spurs fan I was happy with the point.

But one thing I did notice on a couple of calls (especially the penalty) was Probert would blow and then gave himself a good few seconds before making the decision. With the pen he blew then must have taken 5 seconds or so before pointing to the spot (I was clearly going nuts thinking he would book Adebayor for diving or something!)

But whats your thoughts on that approach. I tend to find my refereeing is based on instinct, I blow when I see something and dont tend to give myself that moment to consider the call I'm making. I'm not sure if Probert was taking the time deciding on whether Steve Taylor should have been booked, sent off etc perhaps.

The Referee Store
I would think the "thinking time" about whether it was a RC or YC can be taken after after he has blown for a penalty, the thinking time must have been for penalty or dive. It did seem a bit TOO long but to be fair he was spot on!

I think this was the best performance I've seen from Lee Probert. Was definitely a penalty, but Adebayor did make a meal of it. My thinking is, as Colin said, the pause was for penalty or dive. Replays show, penalty was correct

Being a Spurs fan I can only assume the pause was for dramatic effect as no Tottenham Hotspur player would ever dream of diving!

Apparently the PGMOL refs had a training session on Thursday about making decisions in or around the PA i.e. is it in or is it out?

Having just experienced the same training session tonight, i can see why he took longer than "normal" to give it....

Likely, it was a bit delayed because A) he had to look for any obvious advantage and B) he wanted the input of his AR.

Back