A&H

Newcastle v Norwich, fifth NUFC goal

RefereeingBooks

Nobody here thinking Newcastle's fifth goal had a distinct offside odour?
When Janmaat crosses the ball, Sissoko is in offside position, jumps for the ball, which he misses, whereupon Wijnaldum heads it in. My guess is that under the new interpretation the goal should have been disallowed. The MOTD reporter even called it, although he said something like Sissoko being in the keeper's eye-line, which IMHO made no sense.
Any thoughts?

The Referee Store
Not for me.

The crucial element is that Janmaat's actions have no impact on a defensive player.

So, looking at the 3 elements under part a) of this year's interpretation:
Clearly attempts to play the ball - Yes
Ball close to him - yes
Impacts on an opponent - No

And looking at the 2 elements for part b) :
Obvious action - Yes
Clear impact on ability to play the ball - No

So therefore the goal correctly stood for me.

Last edited:
Yes, that makes sense.
Unfortunately, these examples have not been distributed over here in the Netherlands, although our national FA did send all registered officials a video with examples. None comes close to this one, however.
Thanks a lot for clearing this up for me.

I'm with Bester on this one. Whilst it wasn't as clear cut as some this season, for me, any time a forward credibly attempts to play the ball from this kind of offside position it has to put doubt in the goalkeeper's mind about which way to go, where to shift his weight etc.

Now of course, if he'd just been sensible and stood there motionless then that would be a different matter ...

Back