A&H

New Ref

James P

Hi, I am a newly qualified ref with my first game on Saturday. I was wondering whether other refs check studs and jewellery etc, if you do when and where do you check, as when I can't remember many refs checking when I used to play

The Referee Store
Hi James

We already have a very recent thread on this topic:

I think there is plenty in there that will answer this question.

Make sure sock tape is the same colour as the socks is my big bit of advice, especially if you plan to post photos on this forum. 😉
while i know this is posted in jest, @James P please dont worry about sock tape on your first game!

by all means check the boots (for anything dangerous / unsuitable) and jewellery as there are potential health and safety impacts but dont worry (yet) about under garments and tape

do you checks when the players are in one place, in a huddle on the pitch or coming out of a changing room

Just done my first game, and it went very well. Just wondering if I need to upload the match result to any websites

Just done my first game, and it went very well. Just wondering if I need to upload the match result to any websites

You are better off asking the league that question - you only need to submit a report if you’ve given any bookings/abandoned the game etc. A lot of the time, especially if it is youth football, (I don’t know what age group you were doing, or if you were doing open age), managers are told to submit the score themselves.

Congrats, getting the first one out of the way is a big step.

You will need to refer to your league handbook to see what you need to report to the league, for example my leagues require me to complete a form and email it to the referee secretary after every game.

You only have to enter games on the whole game system if you have any discipline stuff to report.

Make sure sock tape is the same colour as the socks is my big bit of advice, especially if you plan to post photos on this forum. 😉
The sock tape has to be the same? I am a goalkeeper (and a referee, clearly) and I usually wear blue socks (my kit) but black sock tape?!

I’ve never thought about it really- especially as I’ve been getting away with it for years! I usually find that a lot of players don’t wear sock tape that I referee, but shin guards instead of just shin pads and nothing to hold them up.

Back