A&H

New ref

Had my first two games today one under 15 which was hard considering I’m only a year older 😂 and then and under 13s game the under 15s game was tough and I cautioned one player however I was lenient to him I should’ve sent him off and the under 13s game was pretty easy thanks for the advice prior to the games guys
Difficult to send a player off during your first day in the office! What was the offence?

The Referee Store
3 OA games this weekend. 2 went really well, handshakes all round despite the closeness of the games,both which had penalties given late on for the equalisers and 1 game which was a typical Sunday league slog. Low quality matches only by the constant abuse and whiffs of class C drugs blowing across the pitches lol. Goosed now

Shouldn't have A 16 year old doing an U15 game, unfair especially brand new to the game.

I done two U13s yesterday and two U14s today, ONE player shook my hand out of about 55.

Is that normal with the kids games ?

Shouldn't have A 16 year old doing an U15 game, unfair especially brand new to the game.

I done two U13s yesterday and two U14s today, ONE player shook my hand out of about 55.

Normalish ☹

All eight managers did and all said well played not one questioned any decisions, i even explained one to a manager today ( he didnt ask about it) and really appreciated me explaining it.

All happy (ish)

Basically I was down for an under 13s game but the manager contacted me and asked if I could ref the under 15s game before hand I could’ve easily said no but I like a challenge and I feel like that game has given me a great amount of experience having to deal with a fiesty game like that

Difficult to send a player off during your first day in the office! What was the offence?
There a couple of players giving me stick and abit of backchat but nothing that warranted a card however there was one player that said “ you need glasses mate “ and “you’re supporting the other team” I chose to ignore these comments as it was a heated game I’m guessing they were rivals and I didn’t want to aggravate anything but then the player called me a “sp*cka” and at that point I probably should’ve sent him off but I felt if I gave him a yellow it would have the right effect

There a couple of players giving me stick and abit of backchat but nothing that warranted a card however there was one player that said “ you need glasses mate “ and “you’re supporting the other team” I chose to ignore these comments as it was a heated game I’m guessing they were rivals and I didn’t want to aggravate anything but then the player called me a “sp*cka” and at that point I probably should’ve sent him off but I felt if I gave him a yellow it would have the right effect
Players might think they've turned up to win a football match, but their real purpose is to poke and probe you for weaknesses. The spastic comment happened because you didn't caution the earlier comments. Don't worry about it, learn from it; the quicker the better

Glasses - context is everything - you can laugh it off - but might be YC
Supporting the other team - easy YC for me (I've had to give a RC for being accused of taking a bung on a low level game by a sub!)
Sp*cka - you know for next time - it's an easy RC - aimed at anyone - and ignorance is not excuse - player ignorance is not the ref's problem

I totally understand not wanting to antagonise or create more drama. So, instead of avoiding the card, think about how to give the card without drama. With "kids" you might want to calmly "meet" the player closer to the bench so their coach can hear you as you tell and then give the card. If you are calm and steady there will be less drama.

Overall though, well done for handling it as you did and for analysing it afterwards :)

Basically I was down for an under 13s game but the manager contacted me and asked if I could ref the under 15s game before hand I could’ve easily said no but I like a challenge and I feel like that game has given me a great amount of experience having to deal with a fiesty game like that

While that might be the case it could have gone horribly wrong, my guess is a lot of young refs will do one game have a bad experience and never do it again.

Keep up the good work and remember always people here to help and advise.

Glasses - context is everything - you can laugh it off - but might be YC
Supporting the other team - easy YC for me (I've had to give a RC for being accused of taking a bung on a low level game by a sub!)
Sp*cka - you know for next time - it's an easy RC - aimed at anyone - and ignorance is not excuse - player ignorance is not the ref's problem

I totally understand not wanting to antagonise or create more drama. So, instead of avoiding the card, think about how to give the card without drama. With "kids" you might want to calmly "meet" the player closer to the bench so their coach can hear you as you tell and then give the card. If you are calm and steady there will be less drama.

Overall though, well done for handling it as you did and for analysing it afterwards :)
Hard to give hard and fast definitions to what's 100% allowed but that's pretty close to my tolerance level....GoSanta....

Back