A&H

New ref looking for tips

Dave Mac

Hi guys,

Finished my course on Sunday and now looking to get my 6 games under my belt. Got my first sorted for this Friday and getting a bit nervous. Does anyone have and hints or tips I should take into my first game. I'm worried I'll go to jelly and be giving fouls when I shouldnt and pulling out cards left right and center!

The Referee Store
You should have the laws of the game fresh in your mind. Common sense will tell you when to issue a card. Just because a player shouts out "fu3k it " because hes missed a penalty I wouldnt take action . If they swear at you clamp right down. You give fouls when you have to and belive you should have to

Just bear in mind that YOU are in charge. Don't let anybody else referee the match for you, thats when things get messy.

On a recent new ref course I got asked this. My tip relax.

I've been a referee for a good while. I am still yet to find a goal keeper but a ball on his own net at a goal kick. Still yet to have a goalkeeper add markings on a pitch or any of the odd things in law.

Relax and if anything random does happen you will find you will know how to handle it

Oh and enjoy it

Ill echo the above. Just relax and all will be fine.

Just apply the laws of the game and maintain personality. Remember, it is about the sport, not either the referee or the players but the sport. Do what you can to keep the sport in good repute.

Just relax, apply the laws as you have learned them and most of all enjoy it.

One thing I would say is that communication is vital. Talk to the players, let them know you are approachable but also be firm when necessary so they know not to even think about trying to take advantage of you.

Most players play the game to enjoy it, of course everyone wants to win but the main thing is enjoyment, that goes for refereeing as well. Don't try to be centre of attention but at the same time don't get lost in the noise of the game and blow your whistle feebly and unnecessarily. If an incident warrants intervention by you, blow your whistle loudly and take firm action immediately.

Smile, you'll be surprised how much it helps!

Still yet to have a goalkeeper add markings on a pitch or any of the odd things in law.

Have you never had a goalkeeper make a mark at the middle of the 6-yard line and 18 yard line so that they can better tell their position to the nets? This happens quite a lot in my games - and to law in punishable, but I am yet to caution for it!

With regards to your original question Dave Mac, as everyone else has said - just be the man, have confidence but not arrogance. Remember that you can make the most obvious of decisions and there will always be at least one person in the vicinity that thinks that you are wrong, but 9 out of 10 times you will be right!

If you think that you have dropped a ballcock (one for the plumbers ;) ), remember that you more than entitled to change your mind as long as you haven't restarted play. Use this piece of information wisely - you can either earn respect and lose the players confidence by doing so. Experience will tell you when you can do it.

Most of all, enjoy your refereeing!

Have you never had a goalkeeper make a mark at the middle of the 6-yard line and 18 yard line so that they can better tell their position to the nets? This happens quite a lot in my games - and to law in punishable, but I am yet to caution for it!......
Ive never had anything remotely like that, new one on me :D

Really? Must just be me then! haha.

Do you know what I mean though? The 'keeper rubs the white line away adjacent to the centre of the goals posts on the 6 yard line and 18 yard line. They do it so that they know where they are in relation to the goals without turning around to look. Technically therefore they are gaining an advantage by doing so.

Yeah, i know exactly what you mean, never seen it in any game I've ever been involved in, either playing, reefing or watching. It'd be interesting to see if an assessor picked up on it though

When I was a GK I used to do it before every game it helps us amatuers know where our posts are without having to look behind.... i would always do it just before KO, when the ref wasnt looking!

I stopped a keeper doing that once when I went to check the nets post handshake pre toss. He acted really surprised he wasn't allowed to do it (fake surprise no doubt to avoid any further sanction).

Back