A&H

New Offside Interpretation - An Update

The authority is that the IFAB instructed The FA on how interfering with an opponent should be adjudged. They were clear that where NARs were used, that was the interpretation they (IFAB) wanted using. You don't "feed back" to the IFAB, you do as you are told. If a game has NARs appointed, then the latest interpretation will apply. It's very simple to get across to the players ... play to the whistle.

The Referee Store
The authority is that the IFAB instructed The FA on how interfering with an opponent should be adjudged. They were clear that where NARs were used, that was the interpretation they (IFAB) wanted using. You don't "feed back" to the IFAB, you do as you are told. If a game has NARs appointed, then the latest interpretation will apply. It's very simple to get across to the players ... play to the whistle.
Absolutely nothing in the FIFA press release suggesting one law for the elite and one for grassroots. http://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news...-the-field-application-law-offside-99799.html

There is a definitive statement in there on where the IDFK for offside should be given, but that's another thread - maybe IFAB read that thread and decided it needed clarification!

Prime example of the new "interpretation" just happened in the Man City vs Juventus match.

Cross comes in, Morata is in an offside position near the penalty spot when the ball is played, Pogba wasn't. Morata stretches for the ball, but misses it, Pogba get on the end of it and sticks it in the back of the net. Goal disallowed...

The perils of Bing ... I searched for "ifab instruction offside" and got that - and obviously didn't read it too closely! But then you get the same result searching the FIFA site!

Google at least brought up the circular at http://www.askasoccerreferee.com/?p=4180 In relation to this thread, it's just addressed to "To all football associations, confederations and FIFA" so the distinction in the OP still seems without any authority

Prime example of the new "interpretation" just happened in the Man City vs Juventus match.

Cross comes in, Morata is in an offside position near the penalty spot when the ball is played, Pogba wasn't. Morata stretches for the ball, but misses it, Pogba get on the end of it and sticks it in the back of the net. Goal disallowed...
Yes, and here in Holland I heard match reporters say it should have been allowed. Do these people even stay up to date with the latest law changes and interpretations?

If I can offer some advice ... please don't ever try to explain the LotG to players. They will take your words and twist them to suit their own motives. It's honestly not worth it.

I had to get my copy of LOTG out in dressing room other day, other AR said "That's organised", I replied "Just in case someone wants to argue about the laws", he said "What do you do, throw it at them!?"

Which pretty well sums up what you say Brian.

I had a ladies match last season, during play, where player was trying to tell me I had given throw one way (It was far end to me , so I was just signalling ball out of play, not direction, as instructed. explained that, but player just not interested.

Back