The Ref Stop

New earrings at u12 girls

TheReferee

This morning had an u12 girls game. One of the girls had earrings in and I asked her to take them out, she then responded “I can’t take them out as they were only pierced yesterday”. In this situation what would you do considering it’s a u12 girls game and some may argue it’s un fair not to let her play the game as a result at this age

Last edited:
The Ref Stop
She did the piercing knowing (or her parents knowing) she will be wanting to play the next day and jewelry is not allowed.

How fair is it that they consciously made that decision and now they are asking you (putting you on a guilt trip) to ignore the laws of the game. They made the decision and should accept the consequence. Don't feel guilty the slightest if you don't let her play.

Suggestion. Don’t tell her to take them out. Tell her (or better yet, her coach) that it is up to her whether she wants to take them out or not, but she isn’t able to play unless she takes them out. It’s a minor difference, but can help. I’ve had this conversation many, many times. (And be prepared for, “but last week’s ref . . . “)

Suggestion. Don’t tell her to take them out. Tell her (or better yet, her coach) that it is up to her whether she wants to take them out or not, but she isn’t able to play unless she takes them out. It’s a minor difference, but can help. I’ve had this conversation many, many times. (And be prepared for, “but last week’s ref . . . “)
Love this response. Love how it’s more conservative and not so in the face. This response very much reminds me of the triangle we make when speaking to players because it’s seen as working with the player not telling them what to do.

I think he is meaning that he should be conducting any messages to her through the coach not talking to her directly. They are also responsible for their safety after all.

I think he is meaning that he should be conducting any messages to her through the coach not talking to her directly. They are also responsible for their safety after all.
Of course. I would always do that but simply forgot to add that bit in to the post!

I see these young girls wanting to play while wearing earrings all the time. Most of the time they try covering them with Band-Aids...and I still don't let them play. But, one time, I didn't allow a girl to play and one of the referees that I was with told me a story that he didn't allow a girl to play once and I guess the coach and/or dad took the earrings out and put the stem of a leaf of something through the hole. Pretty clever.

One of our elite assignors; a young woman, used to wear earrings when she refereed - after all, what could possibly happen🤪? She took a hard shot to the side of her head, driving the earring post up behind her mandible. Emergency surgery was necessary to remove it. She is now a zealot about earrings being worn anywhere on the pitch by anyone.

In the US, we are indemnified as officials assuming we've properly executed our duties. If we allow earrings and a kid has a similar thing happen, we're exposed to a liability lawsuit.

Back