A&H

Ladies neutral assistants

Ryan

THE REF
Level 7 Referee
I have got my first game with neutral assistants next Saturday, any advice please anyone?

The Referee Store
Get yourself a good pre-match ready. Don't teach them to suck-eggs - but tell them how often you want goal kicks monitored, whether you want involvement in penalty kicks etc. Also, make sure you tell them to follow your lead in your third of the pitch - there is nothing worse than two officials giving different decisions! Plenty of eye-contact and communication (if the ball is on it's way out of play, little pointers with your finger by your side to indicate to an AR which way the decision's going and then as soon as it's out of play you can both make the same signal together which as well as looking great, minimises any arguments.) If they're inexperienced ARs, then tell them to wait, wait, wait before raising their flag for offside. It should be clear that the person in the offside position has interfered with play, either by touching the ball or interfering with an opponent. An early flag (e.g. as soon as a free-kick is taken - but the ball goes elsewhere or is cleared by the defence) causes problems.

:)

Arrive with plenty of time and remember that they are there to help you. Think ahead of time in what way they can best do that and waste no time in getting them to it.

Y'know, I was actually thinking about this thread while I was warming up yesterday. Not sure why it came to mind, but there you go.

In addition to the good advice above - trust them, lead them, don't teach them to suck eggs - the one thing that came to mind is consider what you'd like them to do regarding substitutes. If the benches are the same side, and you'll keep the assistants on the same side for the game, is the bench-side assistant going to deal with all subs? Whoever is nearest from you both? Is one assistant more experienced than the other? Are they going bench side to control dugouts? Will the 'junior' assistant go benchside to gain the experience of doing it if it's likely to be a hassle-free match?

Take a moment or two to consider some technical stuff you'd like from them, so when subs happen, you all look like you're on the same page and don't end up on the same blade of grass.

AND ENJOY HAVING THEM! :D

it went very well, I couldn't ask for it to have gone any better, it was a girls centre of excellence match, u15s middle, the girls were great they respected me , I was talking to most of them during the game, the only thing they really wanted me to improve on was my positioning but that comes with experience, do overall extremely happy :)

Back