A&H

Nations League...offside

The Referee Store
Rossetti also suggested the Law should be changed . . . .

I think that conceptually at least, I'd be in favour of a law change that could make this kind of scenario an offside offence but I think the problem there, is going to be how to word it in a sufficiently unambiguous manner, so that it deals with the scenarios you want it to but doesn't go too far the other way and let defenders off with too many deliberate plays.

Reactions: one
The whole thing is garbage. You judge offside from when the ball leaves the foot/head/chest of the attacking team. Where was he standing when the ball was played to him? That's right in an offside position. Therefore offside.

Just ridiculous to make amateur refs try and interpret this sort of thing.

Gave his all and was a good team player. Not the best on the ball!!

They have a technical committee which has Collina and Ellerey on too. Not sure of the full workings at IFAB but certainly in terms of the names they have on their advisory boards from referees to players they've got the very best.

Perhaps it's more a case of spending so much time debating something that its over complicating the matter? For me, if a ball reaches an attacker who was in an offside position via a deflection of any kind then it should be offside. For me that's simplistic enough for all to understand at all levels and removed some ambiguity because any deflection at all would make it offside. Not perfect, but better than we have now.

The handball law was changed because football isn't comfortable with a goal being scored directly or immediately after the ball touches the hand/arm and this seems to fall under the same principle I think. Are we comfortable with a goal being scored by an agtacker who was offside from the intended pass, a pass which ultimately set up the goal? I don't think most people are.

100%. Bang on. Because what is a 'deflection' and what is 'played at'? Is an air swing that clips the shoe laces 'played at'? What if he makes no contact but 'played at' it? Does that count?

100%. Bang on. Because what is a 'deflection' and what is 'played at'? Is an air swing that clips the shoe laces 'played at'? What if he makes no contact but 'played at' it? Does that count?
If he doesn't touch it then it's inconsequential.
Look up the definition of play in the glossary, that might help you make sense of it

The whole thing is garbage. You judge offside from when the ball leaves the foot/head/chest of the attacking team. Where was he standing when the ball was played to him? That's right in an offside position. Therefore offside.

Just ridiculous to make amateur refs try and interpret this sort of thing.

Why is it ridiculous? The laws are clear, it is not an office to be in an offside position

Understood. It's the 'deliberately playing at' which is difficult to adjudge.

never fret too much over grassroots operating alone offsides

its impossible to always watch the ball being played, plus the second last defender, plus the attacker.

impossible.

best you can do is give it your best based on the laws and your position and if it comes to it, your smell of offside on the park.

gimme ten calls on pub league, I will get 8 right, guess the 9th and call the 10th wrong.

Back