A&H

Open Age My first open age game(s)

Jacob Walukiewicz

I was asked to take an open age game as the referee had let them down, I knew a few of the players and the guy who asked quite well so I accepted as I saw it as a chance to experience open age before I take it in a competitive competition.
The game started well and I thought I was controlling the game well. A few complaints at some decisions or lack there of but that's to be expected. I ended up giving two penalties one for each team both to a flurry of complaints. The first was a stonewall in my opinion although the blue players seemed to think he went down easily, I could tell though that red 8 (the player that won the penalty) was winding the opposition players, specifically the centre back who ended up being the offender for the penalty.
Is there anything you can do as a referee to control situations like this where a player is clearly winding another up?
Anyway I wave away protests and the penalty is scored. The game goes on and the red side make it 2-2 with about 5 left, a ball goes over the top to blue 11 and he runs into the box he loses control of the ball and lingers in the box (which is important) blue 14 player comes in and goes past the keeper but is fouled, penalty. This one you can't argue with but what they did argue with was the fact the flag was up and I hadn't seen, I hear him shout number 11 who I knew wasn't offside from the first ball but had lingered in an offside position however i felt he didn't interfere and therefore still gave the penalty and yellow carded the keeper under the new DOGSO rules. Penalty scored, 3-2 blue game over. I get a lot of 'good game ref' after as they knew it was my first open age. Did I do the right thing here, would like opinions? (I know the situation isn't easy to picture)
During the first game a guy on the sideline had called me over and asked me to do another, I felt there was no harm and went on to ref a much quieter one sided game in which there was no real stand out decisions for me to make.

The Referee Store
@Jacob Walukiewicz from your description it looks like you sorted out the late penalty situation very well indeed...
yuo have had to a) over rule the CAR, b) award the penalty in the first instance c) then have the presence of mind to then go ahead and book the keeper.... all of which takes strength of character / great temperament / good knowledge.
as for the other situation with the guy antagonising, i'd be inclined to pull the fella aside for a chat about a possible USB offence if his behaviour continued, but i'd be interested to see what more experienced people would do in that scenario.

You seem to have made a couple of big, potentially controversial decisions yet still received positive feedback. I'd consider that a good day out!

You seem to have made a couple of big, potentially controversial decisions yet still received positive feedback. I'd consider that a good day out!
Yeah the red manager was very (suprisingly) understanding once I'd explained the decision. The players weren't as understanding... :confused:

All decisions correct well done, what i would have done with the player that was winding up the opposition would be to call him over and say " anymore winding up the players and i will caution you for unsporting behaviour." Make it loud enough to be heard but not shouting and use hand gestures as a visual deterent for those who didn't but could see.

He just went into the challenge with his hands, I deemed it a genuine attempt at the ball so gave a yellow.
Good stuff, sounds like you made the right decision. By the sounds of it, things went a lot better than my first open age game back in the day (having said that, it would be difficult to do worse than my first attempt!!) Well done!

Back