A&H

Moving into OA

willt2004

Newref
Level 8 Referee
Hi

I am going to move into OA next season when I am 16. Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to ref it differently from a youth game?

The Referee Store
You should do lines on adult games before going into the middle. I plan on starting on middles in OA football soon and being on the line for OA has helped me a lot and gives you a bit of an insight onto how more experienced referees handle adults

You should do lines on adult games before going into the middle. I plan on starting on middles in OA football soon and being on the line for OA has helped me a lot and gives you a bit of an insight onto how more experienced referees handle adults

Ye that’s what the league said, they’ll start me on some assists and then move me on to middlesn

Ye that’s what the league said, they’ll start me on some assists and then move me on to middlesn
It’s definitely helped me a lot. Make sure you get someone to come out and watch your first adult game to give you some advice as well. If you can, ask for some U16-18 middles as some of them can apparently actually be more challenging than adults games I’ve been told!

It’s definitely helped me a lot. Make sure you get someone to come out and watch your first adult game to give you some advice as well. If you can, ask for some U16-18 middles as some of them can apparently actually be more challenging than adults games I’ve been told!

Thanks for the advice mate 👍

I'm not particularly up on these things but I'd be surprised to see an U18 year old doing an OA middle on his own. Not least because of the safeguarding issue. Would that actually happen?

I'm not particularly up on these things but I'd be surprised to see an U18 year old doing an OA middle on his own. Not least because of the safeguarding issue. Would that actually happen?

In a league I officiate in (same County as yourself) the home club had to pick the ref up on the way to the match as he is 17 and doesn't drive! Had a good game by all accounts. I think over 16 and you're fine for OA. I have an OA game tomorrow and my 4th is 16.

You move to level 7 at 16 so you can then ref OA. I will be assistant for some games first to get the feel of the adult game

Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to ref it differently from a youth game?

Yeah, be streetwise. You'll have a few that will try and push you about as you're young. You need to be firm, use your cards liberally if you have to. Whatever you do, don't wilt - this isn't exclusive to being young, but that's what some of the more savvy players will be watching for, any chinks in your armour so to speak.

I'd ask for a mentor for the first season or so, just to get any further advice. But don't be put off by any naysaying, jump into the OA circuit and enjoy it as much as you can. It's also a great learning experience IMO, so take it as it is and of course, don't let your head drop if there happens to be a bad day - but I think you'll be fine.

Yeah, be streetwise. You'll have a few that will try and push you about as you're young. You need to be firm, use your cards liberally if you have to. Whatever you do, don't wilt - this isn't exclusive to being young, but that's what some of the more savvy players will be watching for, any chinks in your armour so to speak.

I'd ask for a mentor for the first season or so, just to get any further advice. But don't be put off by any naysaying, jump into the OA circuit and enjoy it as much as you can. It's also a great learning experience IMO, so take it as it is and of course, don't let your head drop if there happens to be a bad day - but I think you'll be fine.

Thanks mate appreciate it 👍

In a league I officiate in (same County as yourself) the home club had to pick the ref up on the way to the match as he is 17 and doesn't drive! Had a good game by all accounts. I think over 16 and you're fine for OA. I have an OA game tomorrow and my 4th is 16.

Yeah I know of 1 or 2 young refs (age 17) that are already doing OA games, but my query was, would/should it not be at odds with the safeguarding thing that is prevalent with anything that involves adults mixing with "minors" these days? Both the youngsters I know are transported to matches by their respective parents, who stay and watch the game so in real terms, not an issue but it seems bizarre that an adult referee has to have safeguarding and DBS in order to be appointed to U18 matches, yet an U18 referee can just take to the pitch with a bunch of adults and it's okay?

Yeah I know of 1 or 2 young refs (age 17) that are already doing OA games, but my query was, would/should it not be at odds with the safeguarding thing that is prevalent with anything that involves adults mixing with "minors" these days? Both the youngsters I know are transported to matches by their respective parents, who stay and watch the game so in real terms, not an issue but it seems bizarre that an adult referee has to have safeguarding and DBS in order to be appointed to U18 matches, yet an U18 referee can just take to the pitch with a bunch of adults and it's okay?

Yeah I get what you mean. There's a grey area of players/refs between 16-18 that I imagine will get addressed soon hopefully.

For instance, the 16 year old 4th official in my team will have to get changed in a separate room, whereas a 16 year old playing for one of the teams doesn't have to get changed separately.

Reactions: Kes
Yeah I get what you mean. There's a grey area of players/refs between 16-18 that I imagine will get addressed soon hopefully.

For instance, the 16 year old 4th official in my team will have to get changed in a separate room, whereas a 16 year old playing for one of the teams doesn't have to get changed separately.

Yep, bizarre. The whole set-up. :confused:

Back