A&H

Mobbing in the UK

The Referee Store
Completely depends on the individual circumstances, there's no explicit rule/law/expectation.

If it's dissent though (which I presume it would be) then sin bins would be appropriate and not simply yellows for adopting an aggressive attitude.

I'd add that you aren't limited to cautioning only one player. Typically that is what is called for. But depending on the circumstances, such as if it continues after the first one or two players are particularly aggressive, additional cautions can be appropriate.

There was a rule in the EPL a few seasons ago where if three or more players from one side crowded the referee it would result in a charge and a fine.
Seemed strange as it was basically an acknowledgement the referees weren't dealing with it on the pitch.

Not sure if its still in place as it regular happens and you don't hear about any charges.

There was a rule in the EPL a few seasons ago where if three or more players from one side crowded the referee it would result in a charge and a fine.
Seemed strange as it was basically an acknowledgement the referees weren't dealing with it on the pitch.

Not sure if its still in place as it regular happens and you don't hear about any charges.

I remember that - there were some pretty startling inconsistencies with those judgements from what I remember (with my fan's hat on anyway!) so maybe why that was quietly dropped.

It was one of those 'topics of the month' - tackles from behind, holding at corners etc - there's been a few down the years, usually instigated by the media.

This season when the refs give a penalty against them 3 or 4 players OFTEN go to the ref straight away (hoping for a VAR review i bet). Appaling behaviour.

Back