A&H

MOAS & Availability Calendars

Dicky Herts

Hi. This is a question and a bit of a moan. Firstly the question - can any affiliated football league use the FA's MOAS system for Match Official's availability?

Now the moan. Last season I reffed across nine different leagues. Each one used a different method of capturing Referee's availability. This means that if I got an appointment on one league I had to close that date off on eight different platforms or if it wa snon football eg work all nine platforms. Summary below of leagues and methods. There is not one system there that updates my availability on more than one league.

Does anyone know why the FA cannot encourage or insist that League Ref Coordinators use MOAS? MOAS is a good simple system for Refs to complete and I assume easy for Coordinators to see Refs availability and allocate matches. The current method is making me consider cutting down the number of leagues I support as a Match Official which would be a shame really.

I would be interested in other's views particularly views from Referee Secretaries as to the reticence to share systems with other leagues.

My Leagues and systems / methods used:
Herts Senior County League: Google sheet
Royston Crow Youth: Google Sheet
Eastern Junior Alliance: Pitchside
Spartan South Mids: Google sheet
Thurlow Nunn: MOAS
Thurlow Nunn Youth: Email the Ref Sec
Southern Counties Midweek Youth: Email the Ref Sec
Mid Herts Rural Minors: Mitoo
Beds Herts Ladies: Google FORM and Ref Sec.

A&H International
Hi. This is a question and a bit of a moan. Firstly the question - can any affiliated football league use the FA's MOAS system for Match Official's availability?
I don't think so, think it is only for competitions operating within the national league structure.
Now the moan. Last season I reffed across nine different leagues. Each one used a different method of capturing Referee's availability. This means that if I got an appointment on one league I had to close that date off on eight different platforms or if it wa snon football eg work all nine platforms. Summary below of leagues and methods. There is not one system there that updates my availability on more than one league.
Nope. The only way to resolve this is to perhaps reduce the number of leagues you are available to, or alternate weekends to different leagues. I used to do something like this with two Sunday leagues I operated on. I didn't like the first come first served approach.
Does anyone know why the FA cannot encourage or insist that League Ref Coordinators use MOAS? MOAS is a good simple system for Refs to complete and I assume easy for Coordinators to see Refs availability and allocate matches. The current method is making me consider cutting down the number of leagues I support as a Match Official which would be a shame really.
I doubt this would happen. One there will probably be operational cost to the FA for it. And it would also make appointing trickier. Let's say a step7 league have me a middle before the national FA appointments came out. I would look like a closed date to the FA when in reality I have an appointment that should be superseded by the FA appointment. Logistically it isn't the right solution you think it might be..
I would be interested in other's views particularly views from Referee Secretaries as to the reticence to share systems with other leagues.
I get your frustration looks like you can certainly move around different leagues etc.

We have it great here in Cornwall as all appointments are done centrally by the county FA. Unlike when I was in Cheshire where I had to deal with multiple appointments officers for leagues. You just have to devise your own strategy but if you ask me you are casting your net too wide.

Trim down who you are available too, then if you don't get anything proactively go out to the other leagues and offer services.

I’ve cut down my leagues this season now I have FA appointments to worry about. Basically have one league I report my availability to via email (they run a men’s and women’s league) when I have an empty weekend.

As @JamesL said we are very fortunate here in Cornland that our appointments are done centrally so availability is or should be very easy to keep on top of. Although I did fail epically after getting appointed to the FA cup this weekend forgot to close the date and subsequently got appointed to another game. Fortunately no real drama but lesson learned. I did apologise profusely though 🤣

As @JamesL said we are very fortunate here in Cornland that our appointments are done centrally so availability is or should be very easy to keep on top of. Although I did fail epically after getting appointed to the FA cup this weekend forgot to close the date and subsequently got appointed to another game. Fortunately no real drama but lesson learned. I did apologise profusely though 🤣
That's your promotion hopes sinking, then😁

Back