A&H

Missed handball for penalty (probably)

Viridis1886

I don't care if you got the ball...
Level 5 Referee
Hi all

After some experienced opinions on this. Into my first few "proper" games now. Mostly youth, but also getting OA fixtures. This one relates to U13 fixture from yesterday.

Ball played down the left wing. Looked offside so I glance over to lino.

"Handball, penalty!"

No idea. The ball had come in surprisingly quickly and I was looking at (for!) the lino.

"Didn't see it, can't give it."

So first lesson learnt - check for o/s at a slightly better time, but here is the question. I was pretty certain that given the responses that it was handball. I wasn't going to give it based on the players' calls but would you have spoken to the CAR? He'd been a bit dodgy with some offsides and a former L3 ref/parent had had to leave as he basically said he was cheating - I chose to absent myself from that conversation!

The match ended up 8-1 so little impact on the game, but what would you have done with what was probably a deliberate hb in the box that you didn't see?

The Referee Store
As far as handball, as you said you can't give it. I think the more important part here is the lesson learnt. You have mentioned it already. Always focus on the more critical item if you have to choose between two. Similarly when through ball into the box and attacker and defender are closely going for it, never look away to check for offside if there is a chance of a foul/pen.

The concept of needing ( I understand its written in stone to use then) a CAR for offside at an u13 game still staggers me.
That aside, asking their advice on a pk just seems ridiculous.
If the CAR is doing ball in, out, offsides, and pks, there is hardly anything left for the neutral qualified referee to do

did not see it, cant give it.

In the situation you've described, I'd have delayed looking at the assistant (if the ball is inside the penalty area or close to it for example), until the ball is out of play or in a neutral area with the attacking team benefitting, and then come back to the offside and go over to the assistant to deal with it.

That way you can focus on anything cracking off inside the penalty area with the option to come back to the first offence which would be the offside.

Hope that makes sense.

To add, I often allow play to continue to a natural conclusion (goal, goal kick, corner, neutral area with original attacking team in possession) if a CAR has put their flag up but I'm unsure as its a close offside.

All you have to do after is explain WHY you allowed play to continue (close offside) and deal with the restart, I genuinely find most teams are happy with that.

In the situation you've described, I'd have delayed looking at the assistant (if the ball is inside the penalty area or close to it for example), until the ball is out of play or in a neutral area with the attacking team benefitting, and then come back to the offside and go over to the assistant to deal with it.

That way you can focus on anything cracking off inside the penalty area with the option to come back to the first offence which would be the offside.

Hope that makes sense.

To add, I often allow play to continue to a natural conclusion (goal, goal kick, corner, neutral area with original attacking team in possession) if a CAR has put their flag up but I'm unsure as its a close offside.

All you have to do after is explain WHY you allowed play to continue (close offside) and deal with the restart, I genuinely find most teams are happy with that.
It does make sense and was my first learning point. Managed to put it I to use I the afternoon OA match too.

"I was pretty certain that given the responses that it was handball."

I don't trust players claiming handball, throw-in direction, foul, etc.

Officiating games or watching them, even the obvious correct call is contradicted by every opposing player.

Don't let players dictate a call you didn't see and hear or the call you know is correct. The moment they make you change a correct decision, they own you.

Back