The Ref Stop

Minutes Silence

marshr02

Hi Everyone

New ref here. I have been asked for a minutes silence today due to bereavement.

Don't want to wing it. Sounds silly but how do you do this? after meeting captains and doing the toss,,,or earlier...

R

The Ref Stop
There is no official set in stone method.

The one I have encountered most, and, I use, is, gently remind/inform say sec, manager, whoever, some point in advance
Whistle/call captains in. Generally at this point, the other players start to assemble round the circle.
Do your captains toss, I def advise noting kick off here, then break for your min silence, making sure out of respect folk are ready
When all involved seem ready, still, whistle.
The minute takes ages! You will find yourself checking watch. At the min, blow, I then turn to each team and say " thanks guys", then, " blue to go"

Hi Everyone

New ref here. I have been asked for a minutes silence today due to bereavement.

Don't want to wing it. Sounds silly but how do you do this? after meeting captains and doing the toss,,,or earlier...

R
Building on the advice from Anubis, have the teams in the correct half ready for the kick off before the silence. Use voice if it's "as you are" or voice and crossed arms if changing ends.
I watched a game recently where the winning captain elected to change ends, but the teams stayed in the half where they had warmed up.
After the silence, the home goalkeeper had to collect his gloves from the goal and then get to the goal he was about to defend. Messy!

Indeed whilst playing the senario in my head, I omitted having us in the correct half for ko

suppose seeing as its out there, with linos, it seems 50/50 as to whether folk check nets ( say, whilst referee does toss). then come into the silence, or, break to check nets after the silence.

As per the good advice from ChasOb, it seems to make sense to have us all set up so after the silence, we are good for ko, rather than then the net check and finding a fault

That said, I routinely have my Ars in for the toss, 1- despite fears to the contary, i do value them in my team, and 2- so i can formally introduce them, same as I do myself. So on occasions of a silence, I do find myself doing the toss whilst saying to the captains, " thats xxx and he's xxxxxxx "

i guess its whatever works best.

I would say that particularly at grassroots level, I would tend to do it the other way round. Players will be warming up in their half, so a big blast of the whistle and gesture to have them line up around the edge of the centre circle. If it's relating to one of the teams, they may have someone who wants to introduce to the other team why the silence is happening, hopefully they will keep it to a few words. Then a short whistle to start the minute.

Count in your head is a good tip - no one will be upset if you actually do 55 or 65 seconds, someone may take offence if you look like you're not taking it seriously. Then at the end I would whistle and say "thank you everyone, captains join me please" and gesture towards the centre spot. The rest of the team will break and start getting into position, so just do your usual coin toss etc from there.

I talk to the managers first, so they're aware and can pass it on to the team.

Then bring it up with the captains as do an early coin-toss, get them to bring in the players around the circle.

I do track it on my watch, and it ends with a blast of the whistle - that's how I've always seen it done round my way, and if it isn't broke.

Thanks - all went good - not so the game though - 5 yellows. My third game since qualifying. To be honest about 50% of the players behaved like little babies, petulant and arguing for EVERYTHING, at one point around 5 players surrounding me. I wouldn't mind but the level of football is pretty poor. The other 50% were great. So far 2 of my 3 games have been like this. It's getting to be water of a ducks back.. but I did end up moving my changing bag at half-time for a discrete quick get away.

Thanks - all went good - not so the game though - 5 yellows. My third game since qualifying. To be honest about 50% of the players behaved like little babies, petulant and arguing for EVERYTHING, at one point around 5 players surrounding me. I wouldn't mind but the level of football is pretty poor. The other 50% were great. So far 2 of my 3 games have been like this. It's getting to be water of a ducks back.. but I did end up moving my changing bag at half-time for a discrete quick get away.

It may be they smell that you're new, and are trying it on. Or they're like that all the time anyway.

Don't sweat it too much, if you had to dish the yellows out, do so, better a yellow card and nipping the behaviour early than no card and for it to escalate. If they're surrounding you, blast that whistle and get them to go away or start carding them. A word to the CFA/League/RDO about that behaviour would be useful too as they will want to know that new referees are being subjected to that behaviour.

Have you been assigned a mentor?

Hope the game didn't bring you down, it should get better!

Thanks for reply and advice. Issued some cards early on and that stopped things until about 15 mins into second half, then issued again which stopped it again.... but last 5 mins behaviour deteriorated again. I think they're like that all the time.... although I know I will be giving out a little newby vibes. Stopped the game 3 times to talk to the captains and folk on the sidelines. The real issue I think is they are SO used to haranguing the ref on everything out of habit. I will be putting a match report in. Cheers again. (Probably about 1/3 of the men were fantastic, which almost makes it okay as an experience)

Thanks for reply and advice. Issued some cards early on and that stopped things until about 15 mins into second half, then issued again which stopped it again.... but last 5 mins behaviour deteriorated again. I think they're like that all the time.... although I know I will be giving out a little newby vibes. Stopped the game 3 times to talk to the captains and folk on the sidelines. The real issue I think is they are SO used to haranguing the ref on everything out of habit. I will be putting a match report in. Cheers again. (Probably about 1/3 of the men were fantastic, which almost makes it okay as an experience)
By "folk on the sidelines" hopefully you mean coaching staff, not spectators?
You will get used to players and coaches trying it on, especially early in the game and while you are the new guy. Deal with it firmly, and they will hopefully learn what you will/won't accept.
Well done for cautioning when needed.

Easiest thing is to call everyone in for the miniutes silence and then after you've blown to finish it call in the captains to do the toss.

Don't worry about communicating with manager/coaches much if at all during the game unless you're trying to prevent an escalation or clearing something up which can be done simply and quickly. I had two conversations with coaches today during the 90 mins which lasted a few seconds each and they were both to explain that when they were asking why an offside was given by the AR so I gave a very brief explanation and then said we're cracking on with the game and ran off. No issue. Lengthy conversations are usually pointless and self defeating.

It can be useful to pull one of the first players which is moaning, and give my a public admonishment. Firstly, it set you a level of tolerance earlier and secondly, make all the players aware that you won't take all the arguing.
Don't worry about communicating with manager/coaches much if at all during the game unless you're trying to prevent an escalation or clearing something up which can be done simply and quickly. I had two conversations with coaches today during the 90 mins which lasted a few seconds each and they were both to explain that when they were asking why an offside was given by the AR so I gave a very brief explanation and then said we're cracking on with the game and ran off. No issue. Lengthy conversations are usually pointless and self defeating.
It most important thing when you are dealing with players / club officials is that it is not a discussion, make your statement and leave. Don't get involved in discussion, only make you look weak.

It can be useful to pull one of the first players which is moaning, and give my a public admonishment. Firstly, it set you a level of tolerance earlier and secondly, make all the players aware that you won't take all the arguing.

It most important thing when you are dealing with players / club officials is that it is not a discussion, make your statement and leave. Don't get involved in discussion, only make you look weak.

Had one this morning. CAR has raised the flag after a goal is scored as an attacker is in an offside position on the goal line but not interfering in play. I know I'm awarding the goal but go over to him to discuss it so I can take the heat out of the situation. I ask why he's flagged and then explain that he's not committed an offside offence so I'm awarding the goal but it's clear he's not cheating he just doesn't know the law. I do go over to the other teams coach to explain that he wasn't cheating and that after a discussion he's happy to be overruled. I've done this to calm the home team and manager down and it did work today as the manager accepts what's gone on and that the CAR wasn't cheating and merely applying the offside law as he wrongly understands it. I wouldn't take this approach at a higher level obviously but at Sunday League it's worked really well and everyone accepts the goal and moves on.

Had one this morning. CAR has raised the flag after a goal is scored as an attacker is in an offside position on the goal line but not interfering in play. I know I'm awarding the goal but go over to him to discuss it so I can take the heat out of the situation. I ask why he's flagged and then explain that he's not committed an offside offence so I'm awarding the goal but it's clear he's not cheating he just doesn't know the law. I do go over to the other teams coach to explain that he wasn't cheating and that after a discussion he's happy to be overruled. I've done this to calm the home team and manager down and it did work today as the manager accepts what's gone on and that the CAR wasn't cheating and merely applying the offside law as he wrongly understands it. I wouldn't take this approach at a higher level obviously but at Sunday League it's worked really well and everyone accepts the goal and moves on.

one of my ambitions in life is to witness this CAR farce. ( i accept its legally mandated in places)

I went to watch a pals Sunday morning game once in Stockport, ref was a no show, so on I went, in jeans and a borrowed whistle. I do recall some chat about linos and offside but i politely declined and just got on with it. No chance on this planet and taking any advice, ever, from Joe Bloggs when officiating a game of football. All the above incident seems to be handled superbly well, with the correct outcome, that said, I would prefer the right outcome without the randoms interference then justifying to benches

Last edited:
one of my ambitions in life is to witness this CAR farce. ( i accept its legally mandated in places)

I went to watch a pals Sunday morning game once in Stockport, ref was a no show, so on I went, in jeans and a borrowed whistle. I do recall aome chat about linos and offside but i politely declined and just got on with it. No chance on this planet and taking any advice, ever, from Joe Bloggs when officiating a game of football. All the above incident seems to be handled superbly well, with the correct outcome, that said, I would prefer the right outcome without the randoms interference then justifying to benches

Agreed. In Sheffield there were no CARs and it was miles better. I also didn't have the need to replace flags every year because CARs just chuck them around.

I played for a Sunday team just south of Stockport for a long time and my brother refs in the Stockport Metro league now. Its difficult enough without all the CAR nonsense!

Back